Is foam inserts the best way to store drill bits?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Sincity, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Sincity

Sincity Member

I heard this foam stuff (I forget the name is the best place to store my flat drill bits and other similar things. Any recommendations for a storage case?

2. I store most of my flat bits in a custom cut foam liner I made for my wood working chest, its closed cell foam, keeps them in on place. Some guys use a decent tool roll to store them while moving to and from site. Dewalt impact compatible flats are supplied in a quirky case that reminds me of something made from lego, easy to get the flats out but a right pain to put them back in without removing the yellow carrier strip. Mind you, those are really sharp so need a case to protect them.

Sincity likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Realistically it doesn't matter, the bits are cheap and dull quickly from use anyway so a bit of foam wont make any difference unless you're an engineer, in which case you wouldn't be using flat bits.

Sincity likes this.
  4. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

I use an old three bottle wine case which I've subdivided into four compartments, and beefed up the lid, handle, catches and hinges, etc.
    The four compartments are three, as in how the bottles would have been positioned originally, with a long section across the bottom of these other three, for longer bits, e.g. longer masonry bits.
    I'll post a photo later, if I get the chance.

Just looked, it's probably an old six bottle box, with six sections in total.
    I use other old wine boxes, with beefed up lids, hinges, catches etc, for other stuff too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  5. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I like your classy offy

Bobby Dazzler and Jord86 like this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Don't drink and drill ;)

Bobby Dazzler likes this.
  7. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

8. Sincity

Sincity Member

Do you have a link for the dewalt foam case or another one?

9. Sincity

Sincity Member

So a tool toll is more common with tradesmen. Auger, flat bits etc.. what is the foam used for then? I heard handy for organising