Is it dangerous to run an extension lead over a boiler?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Johnpg, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Can I sit an extension lead on top of a boiler? It's high up the wall, and I need to run it in that direction. I'm going to run it over the flue, so it won't necessarily be touching the boiler, but it will run directly down the side of it

Is this safe? Feel free to make fun of me if this is completely insane, I'm ignorant about this kind of thing

Thank you

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Is this a temporary arrangement until you can have an electrician wire a permanent supply?

3. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

HI mate

No, it's planned to be permanent. I'm going to trunk everything in. On the side, the cable will be next to the boiler inside the trunking, and on the top, it will run directly over the flue. The cable itself will never touch the boiler, but the trunking it's in will be sitting directly next to it, and will be physically touching the piece of the flue that goes into the wall.

I can't personally see the problem, but I don't know enough about boilers or electrics to know if what I'm doing is safe.

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

5. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

Extension leads should never be permanent. Get a spark to put an extra socet in where you need it.

6. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Will get a picture now, yes, getting one of those, but one with surge protection and a few other safety features, etc..

7. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

I don't understand how this is feasible. Surely if the amp draw of the connected items doesn't exceed the amperage of the extension, then it's perfectly safe? I'm using a 13a extension lead and only 4.5a is going into it.

8. Banallsheds

You said: "I'm ignorant about this kind of thing."

If what you say is true one would go back to the 1950s and only have one socket per room.

Extension leads should never be permanent. Get a spark to put an extra socket in where you need it.

9. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

You haven’t made any attempt to answer my question. Are you not interested in teaching someone something?

Why is an extension lead a bad solution if the load being placed on it is nowhere near maximum, and the lead itself is fused and surge protected - what’s the extra risk that warrants me hiring an electrician to rip out one of my kitchen walls, and all the piping of the boiler (since it’s in between the socket and the space - so also hiring a boiler engineer), in order that he run a spur from the closest plug socket, before I then hire a plasterer to re-skim the wall, and then me completely repainting it - vs me just running an extension lead?

It’s for a TV that might see perhaps 30 minutes of use per day, maximum.

The only info I can find that suggests it’s unsafe to the point where I should commission relatively major work to my kitchen in order to avoid it, is the risk of overloading the circuit. But it’s just a 20 inch monitor lol

As I said in my previous post, I’m ignorant to the dangers here, so feel free to point out something I’m missing - I want to learn. I’m not just going to take your advise if it doesn’t actually come with any kind of explanation, am I?

10. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

In an ideal, "I can afford to have a spark do it" world!

Cando

11. Banallsheds

I have taught you the fact that extension leads should never be permanent but you don't seem to want to learn.

There are 2 ways of doing any job.
    1. The easy and incorrect way.
    2. The difficult and correct way.

So if I told you that an extension lead near a boiler flue was in danger of overheating due to the flue would you then hire an electrician to rip out one of your kitchen walls, and all the piping of the boiler (since it’s in between the socket and the space - so also hiring a boiler engineer), in order that he run a spur from the closest socket, before then hiring a plasterer to re-skim the wall, and then you completely repainting it or would you decide you don't want a TV in the kitchen for thirty minutes a day.

If you still decide to go ahead don't forget to hire a TV aerial installer to rip out more of the kitchen wall to install an aerial feed before you get the plasterer to re-skim the wall and you painting it.

12. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

I agree with what everyone is saying however I expect most homes have some sort of (permanent) socket extension in their lounge to accommodate all the plugs required these days for audio visual equipment, ie most people have TV, DVD, Sky box, Soundbar etc. If the equipment is close enough I suppose a lot use the multi plugs but are they not the same thing? How else does everyone cope with plugging it all in. By the way I always switch off at the wall when not in use.

fff likes this.
  13. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

You hadn’t explained it at all actually, hence why I asked. You still haven’t, either. You have a really, really appalling attitude. I looked through your other posts, and it seems you just spend your entire time on here being surly and abrasive to everyone. What a peculiar way to behave to complete strangers.

So, the flue might cause the trunking to overheat? OK, sounds reasonable. But the gasses in the flue are only 60 Celsius (checked the documentation), and the trunking that contains the cable won’t touch the flue Itself - how do you propose that a cable, which itself can handle beyond 90c (just checked), is going to get to a dangerous temperature being positioned inside trunking around 60mm from a “heat source“ nearly half that temperature? That’s a pretty stupid proposition, isn’t it? As in, it’s stupid to the point where it pretty clearly illustrates that being asked to explain your reasoning put you on the spot to the point where you couldn’t really think of anything to say.

I think it’s fairly certain at this juncture that you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about in this particular instance, and you’re just one of those strange folk who looks for excuses to be a bit of a tool.

ps. Aerial? For a monitor???

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    fff and Jord86 like this.
  14. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Would still love some input on this.

In regards to what the unhappy guy above said, the cable itself won’t ever touch the flue. It will be encased in plastic trunking, and will run roughly 50-60mm over the top of the flue. My main issue is that the cable will also run down the side of the boiler (inside the trunking) no more than 5mm from it. This is my main worry. I ran the boiler on full yesterday for an hour, and the touch temperature using an infrared thermometer never exceeded 30c (basically room temperature at the time), so from a physical safety perspective, I feel it’s safe, but I can’t help feeling that there’s something I’m missing. Maybe a building reg, etc..

Please don’t judge me based on my reply to the idiot above, I’m not here to tell you why you’re wrong, I do want to learn so that I am armed with the knowledge to make decisions about this in the future.

fff and Jord86 like this.
  15. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Morning mate, here’s a picture of my proposed cable layout

https://imgur.com/a/RUFCijr

So the glue is obviously out of sight in the picture, but the cable is going to be around 60mm from it, and around 100mm or so from the top of the boiler.
    On the side though, it’ll run 5mm or so away from it, but will be in conduit trunking

16. Daljit68

Daljit68 New Member

From post about their being semi-permanent extension cables in most homes (I have one next to my bed), fact you’re trunking cable, using it for low-amp device, and buying one with safety features, i think you’re pretty safe.

Johnpg likes this.
  17. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

@Johnpg whilst it is always better to have sockets fitted where you need them this is often not the case and an extension lead is the next best option. Providing the extension lead is rated correctly for the proposed use and it is not passed through walls or under carpets and is not under stress or at risk of damage then they are fine.
    Every occupied house I have inspected has an extension lead somewhere and most will have been there for decades without any issue. So if you fit a decent branded lead (not one form the pound shop) and keep it clear from direct contact with hot surfaces all will be well.

Good luck with your project

fff and Johnpg like this.
  18. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Our resident troll who always has unhelpful comments and seems pedantic has made two assumptions: 1) That the temperature of a plastic flue will overheat/melt plastic conduit, 2) You are going to use the TV with an aerial. You may just be using streaming services? Perhaps he might want to come and do all the various tradesperson's work for you - but wait, he isn't a registered electrician so not sure you'd want him carrying out the work!

Don't rely on IR thermometers for an accurate reading, especially if they are at a distance from the heat source being measured. Your proposed route looks fine, just try and keep the conduit as far from the boiler and flue as possible.

For additional safety, I'd replace the plug fuse with 5A.

You may want to use D-line trunking as it will be visible:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-mini-decorative-trunking-30mm-x-15mm-x-2m-white/42453

Johnpg and METRO MARK like this.
  19. Banallsheds

You clearly said television not monitor. But a monitor still needs feeds such as HDMI or audio visual leads so you will still need someone to dig out the wall etc.

I have clearly explained why you should do it properly and now you are resorting to rudeness and insults because you have decided to go ahead with your dangerous idea.

A few facts. 60 (333 degrees abs) is nowhere half of 90 (363 degrees abs). It is around 10% lower.
    A cable carrying current heats up.

20. Banallsheds

Which means all the clocks modern equipment has will stop. Also means overnight Freeview/Freesat updates won’t happen.