Is it ok boarding my loft with loft legs and 18mm plywood onto 3x2 ceiling joists

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jones1, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Jones1

Jones1 New Member

Hello,

This week I bought a couple of packs of loft legs and some standard 18mm loft boards to create some storage space in the loft. I've screwed the loft legs straight onto the 3"x2" ceiling joists, then screwed the loft boards on top. The boards cover approx 2x2m - so not a large area really. But I plan on boarding another 2x1m area next week. I opted for the loft legs so that I could get 270mm insulation under the boards.

It's only afterwards that I've realised that I could have strengthened my ceiling joists before fixing the boards in place.

My question is...is it safe to board directly onto 3x2 ceiling joists using loft legs? Or do I need to strengthen the roof joists further? I don't plan on storing anything 'heavy'. It's mainly empty suitcases & Xmas decorations etc.

Does anyone have experience of laying boards straight onto ceiling joists?

Cheers

2. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

Yeah, it’ll be fine as long as you’ve got the legs spaced according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

And your 3x2 are the corect size for the actual span of the ceiling.