Is it ok to use plastic shims to level joists on decking????

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by HarryHarris, Jul 8, 2007.

1. HarryHarris

HarryHarris New Member

Im in the process of constructing a deck frame, the ladger board is secured and the joists are laid across the beams BUT due to variations in timber (my excuse) not all joists are level with each other............ can I level these with plastic shims from Screwfix (who else?) or will the weight etc compress the shims blah blah and create long term distortion / or distortion in the long term???

Your help as always appreciated, thanks

2. handypandy

handypandy New Member

Shim with some bits of old roofing slate. Best thing for job and free from a roofers skip!

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But you could use the plastic shims if you wanted.

4. > or will the weight
    etc compress the shims blah blah and create long term
    distortion / or distortion in the long term???

..you are quite correct..plastic is quite soft and can compress over time..slate much better

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So plastic shims, which are designed for the job, are compressable under normal usage? You realy are a plank aren't you.

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Ive cocked up sometimes & I've used plastic shims to get me out of bother....No problem. ;)

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

hmmmmm go to my van and get out purpose made shims in all sizes from 1-6mm or tour the streets looking like a kerb crawler looking for a convenient builders skip that happens to have slate in. tough choice. sure slate does a great job but plastic shims are exactly what you want. as for them compressing over time, have a word what is this a decking base for launching a space shuttle. the decking will compress far quicker than the slate or shims

8. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

plastic shims all the way, keep your slate offcuts for scribing b ricks and paving slabs!