Is it possible to take UPVC window frames apart

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by SoulConspiracy, May 14, 2019.

1. I want to buy a cheapy set of French doors off ebay for my garage conversion. But obviously they'd be quite large and I'd have to hire a van (making the whole endeavour a lot more expensive).

I was wondering if it was at all possible to take the frame apart so I can fit the whole lot in my car, even if this risks some slight damage. Does anyone know how these are generally constructed? Are they so tough I would basically have to destroy it to disassemble it?

Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

2. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

The corners are welded so not possible to take apart.

Astramax likes this.
  3. That's a shame. I guess I can slice the whole thing in half with a hacksaw.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

There is a chance that the UPVC have a steel or aluminium strenghthening bar inside. Certainly with larger windows it is essential. Just hire/borrow a van - it will be worth it considering the problems you will cause yourself.

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Hire a van, make a list of other jobs you have to do at home,& those that benefit from the use of the van.

6. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Tip of the Day: 'Forget it'!

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

What about screwing it to a skateboard and riding it home?

8. How big is your car?
    Could you take the doors off and put them in the car then tie the frame to the roof?

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure driving along with your car doors removed constitutes an unroadworthy vehicle

Private land at Thorpe Park though I guess Thorpepark.jpg

WillyEckerslike and Pollowick like this.
  10. I thought of putting it on the roof. But its too wide and I Dont have a roof rack.