Is it possible to trim engineered louvre doors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by StephenK, Feb 22, 2022.

1. StephenK

StephenK New Member

Hi guys,

I've bought a couple of engineered pine louvre doors to replace the old doors on a built-in wardrobe, but it seems the frame of the wardrobe (in a stud wall) is not quite as straight as it appears, meaning the new doors won't fit properly.

My question is this: is it possible to trim engineered doors that have no lipping with the only negative result being a degraded appearance on the side of the doors? Or would it compromise the integrity of the door? I'd need to take 2-3mm off, I reckon. The doors I bought are 1981mm x 457mm from Wickes.

Thanks!

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Is it possible to adjust the frame? I’d try that route first if you can.

3. StephenK

StephenK New Member

Do you mean planing the frame back a bit? I think it might be. Might give that a crack before butchering the doors...

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

depends on the construction, but there maybe a few different ways. Might seemingly make the job more involved, but as with internal doors, it can sometimes be worth the effort to get the arcs off and try and true and repack the lining.

5. StephenK

StephenK New Member

This is the wardrobe in question, here. As you can see, the architrave is off (although there is actually architrave on the inside as well?) - so I could do any work that required the architrave to be off.

Attached Files:

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

how much do you need to trim the doors by?

You could try carefully removing 5-10mm of plaster board where it meets the lining, to see if the frame has been packed on the verticals. This may mean you could re-shim the lining.

7. StephenK

StephenK New Member

I think it would be a maximum of 6mm on one of the doors (the left one). I suspect it has been packed against the lining, but I'll take a look at that, too.