Is my concrete floor insulated?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jamieharrop16, Nov 24, 2022.

1. jamieharrop16

jamieharrop16 New Member

We're planning to do a garage conversion of our integrated garage. The garage floor level is exactly the same level as the rest of the downstairs (hallway and kitchen). This seems to have confused a few builders who said they would have expected it to be lower. Given it is the same level, I'm wondering if the concrete slab in the garage is already insulated like the hallway and kitchen and therefore no floating insulated floor is required for the garage conversion. Is there an easy way to tell if the concrete is already insulated? Could I just drill a small hole and see if I hit insulation, and if so, how deep would I need to drill?

Thanks
    Jamie

2. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

A single concrete slab for an integrated house and garage could well be insulated if you are certain the rest of the slab was insulated?
    When was the house built?
    At the edge of the garage concrete can you see any signs of a membrane/DPM?

Dont go drilling any holes.

3. jamieharrop16

jamieharrop16 New Member

Thanks. Yes I can see a plastic membrane at one of the edges... not very deep though. Only a cm or two below the top of the concrete/screed. Would that be the dpm? The house was built 6 years ago. A new build Taylor Wimpey home with the garage integrated below the first floor bedroom.

4. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

The info you supply above strongly suggests that you will have insulation below the slab.
    Taylor Wimpey might have some information?

jamieharrop16 likes this.