Is my worktop joint blown?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Rhiannon Long, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Rhiannon Long

Rhiannon Long New Member

Hi guys,

Our kitchen is 14 months old, however we bought the house 4 months ago.

As I was cleaning the worktops today I could feel a slight bump on the join. It's barely noticeable as you can see from the photos, but I don't want it to progress to something more unsightly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

It's blown. It will only get worse.

kitfit1, why me? and koolpc like this.
  3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, it's blown big time and it will only get worse. You could get in touch with who ever fitted it but as you were not their customer, getting something done about it might be problematic.

4. CosD

CosD Active Member

That's down to the fitting rather than the product where they either didn't seal the edges or didn't do a good job of sealing.. Give them a call and see what they say.

I wouldn't do anything to it before they look at it; But if they refuse to put right or you don't think they will come back, if it were mine I would make sure the joint doesn't get wet so it completely dries out. Once dry you can use something like this to seal it:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/colorfil...VUoFQBh3YPAOmEAQYAiABEgL9ovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just choose a colour which is the closest match to your worktop.

5. Rhiannon Long

Rhiannon Long New Member

Fabulous ‍♀️

6. Rhiannon Long

Rhiannon Long New Member

I don't know who it was as it was the previous owner's joiner.

I will take your advice re sealant though, thanks.

7. Rhiannon Long

Rhiannon Long New Member

Yeah, I don't think that's an option as it was the previous owner's joiner.

8. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Had something similar happen years ago in a kitchen of mine, just a slight bump at the join. It wasn’t in a high water area in the kitchen but in my case it never got any worse over about 2 years.

9. Rhiannon Long

Rhiannon Long New Member

Ah, mine is at a right angle next to the sink so need to be extra careful. Was yours caused by water?

10. Rhiannon Long

Rhiannon Long New Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  11. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Not sure, presumably. It was a black worktop with a type of black silicon joint. Can vaguely remember having a small tube leftover so sealed it with that and as I say it never got any worse. Good luck

Rhiannon Long likes this.