Is polypipe any good?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Powerelec, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

Is polypipe any good ? Longevity? . I had a house plumbed over 20 years ago in hep20 ,still running .

On a new project plumber wants to use polypipe as it's more flexible than hep20.

Or should I stick to copper?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm old skool, prefer my copper & soldered joints,especially those out of sight.

Had a weeping push fit joint here (not my work), awkward location,cut hole in ceiling for access,ended up taking bath out to get to it, been replace with copper.

teabreak, Heat and Powerelec like this.
  3. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

That has just given me a great tip, to keep the plastic pipping to a point and then go copper upto the bath and other fittings.

KIAB likes this.
  4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

It's not the plastic pipe that's the issue, it's the reliability/longevity of the plastic push fit fittings...At least I think that's the point being made!

Although a plumber did use a lot of plastic pipe and fittings in my house when extension was built 15 years ago, and I've had no leaks, when I subsequently did some plumbing during a kitchen refit 3 years ago, and had to hide a pipe run behind plaster, I used plastic pipe, but convention compression fittings, with suitable insert. I feel much more at peace with that!

Regards,

Cando

Powerelec likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Most modern houses use plastic.

Powerelec likes this.
  6. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

But that is mainly down to cost cutting on the build.

7. They also have dot and dab and chipboard floors,which are nasty.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

And the fact that many modern plumbers can't solder I suspect!

Heat and Astramax like this.
  9. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with any plumbing product,it just needs a competent installer and a lot of tlc.

tip is to run plastic to a better standard than copper pipes,there are many reasons why ;)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had a loft conversion 20 years ago, bathroom, toilet and 3 rads all in plastic with no problems to date, it is my understanding it has a life of around 50 years! ;)

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Funny, my plumber prefers to use hep20 - says it's more flexible :p The thing to watch is that they are not fully compatible - the inserts are a few thou different.

Pollowick likes this.
  12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would suggest telling him to stay with Hep2O. You already have that installed and try to keep it the same throughout. As MrR says - compatibility, and should should always consider it, make sure the plumber uses the right inserts for the pipe and does not mix-and-mismatch with whatever he has.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

It hasn’t. The 50 year warranty is a con. Take a look at the detail in the warranty, - it says, if I remember right, against manufacturing defect.

In other words, no warranty.
    Plumbers who say plastic is better are usually just wanting an easy less skilled plumbing job.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be fair I didn't mention any warranty...... just relaying what I was told 20 years ago that it had a life span of 50 years.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Heat likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ancient Egyptians, Romans used copper for water conduits & pipes, can't see H20,Polypipe,etc, lasting that long,enough said.:)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why not. One of the biggest problems this planet is facing is longevity of plastic.

17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

What's the official life guarantee or copper pipes ?:rolleyes:
    RS

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Very short if it is installed within sight of the road!:D:D:D

Astramax likes this.
  19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The only deciding factor I can see in the copper v plastic debate are rodents ! Rats & mice hate copper but the little menaces love to nibble at plastic. I used to be a big fan of plastic but after myself suffering a leak caused by a rodent and a friend having most of a bedroom replaced because one nibbled away at the feed to his cold water tank !

20. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Apologies, - I hadn’t meant that you said 50 years was a warranty period.
    But I was linking the 50 years you heard alleged lifespan to what many people take wrongly from the warranty wording, or use to falsely claim the plastic push fit plumbing will last that period.

The “Against manufacturer defect” is not going to be a true warranty