Is there an EICR code for - just a bit daft

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Comlec, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

It’ll fit this way,for sure.

Attached Files:

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've fitted consumer units sideways one more than one occasion when space has been tight before now. I figured that there are millions of MCB's on their side in 3 phase units worlwide that it would be fine either way up. (obviously the labels aren't sideways)

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Have to agree with Peter, the MCBs work fine sideways on, so can't see an issue - this would have had a Revo (Henley, BICC and MEM made them to exactly the same design as well) all in one unit originally, the meter fitted directly onto the cutout and a tall, narrow CU sat next to it in matching cream enamel - I've got a complete one in my collection of electrical oddities.

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The slight difference is that in 3 phase units they will have been tested like that and any detrating will have been accounted for. Consumer units are tested flat, the busbars tend to be much smaller in consumer units than 3 phase units, so can’t draw as much heat out of the device

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

****, I’ve done mine wrong:

image.jpg

6. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

How do you know this?

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Because that’s what I do as a day job. 25 years at a circuit breaker manufacturer then 12 years designing & testing everything from consumer units up to 6000A main switchboards. While being very closely associated with writing the standards.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

Thank you

9. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

It was just lazy fitting as there is plenty space above the intake for a board.

10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Could of fitted a smaller DB

11. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I have relocated the meter before now to get extra space for a consumer unit.

12. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Well can't argue with that experience Craig, in that case surely a C1 defect as the board has the potential to overheat.

13. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

We do a fair bit of inspection and testing and refer to the manufacturer on these occassions (unless we have clarified this before), if it is OK then it is noted.
    If it is not OK then it is a C2 as it is not designed and installed as per manufacturers instructions - if the device fails to operate then it is just a switch- not an MCB.

Crabtree are NOT suitable for this type of mounting, yet some are (such as Proteus, Hager)

You should get a catagorical answer from the manufacturer.

Comlec likes this.
  14. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I did. The CU in question can be used vertically but the main switch and RCD downrated. I was even sent a Certificate of Conformity which I show the relevant extract.
    upload_2019-11-8_14-30-16.png

I shall now make an note on the EICR and dispatch the CoC to the client.

Bottom parts now well and truly covered

15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

With just 5 MCB's likely one could have got a unit to fit, but the isolator and RCD are below the MCB's which produce the heat, and a large separation between isolator and RCD.

Be it this, or other grey area, it is a problem with EICR, don't flag it and next person may, flag it and then you entering into a likely debate between person who fitted the unit, owner, and yourself.

So if you had fitted a unit on its side, and 10 years latter the home owner gets in touch and says this has not passed an EICR because it's on it's side, I want you to come and fix it FOC, what would your answer be?

Shall we try. "It has been that way for 10 years with not sign of stress, if there was a problem it would have shown up by now, on your bike!". Same applies with ring finals that are too long, and many other minor faults.

So a note saying "The CU is mounted on its side, which means it is de-rated, however as it stands with so few circuits it is unlikely to be a problem, but if circuits need to be added it may need changing first." this gets you out of jail if some one in the future picks up on it, but does not enter you into an argument with person who fitted it.

I would say no code, just a note.