Is there any benefit in using 1/2

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dewaltdisney, Jan 13, 2004.

1. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

My fixed head router, attached to my router table, takes both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I use 1/4" cutters as I have more of them and cannot be bothered to change the collet. Can anyone tell me if I will derive any benefit from using the 1/2" cutters I have. I can see that with bigger cutters, like edge trimmers and panel raisers, that the heavier shaft might reduce vibration but I would be grateful if this could be explained.

Ta

DWD

2. WOLF

WOLF New Member

the only real benefits from using 1/2 router cutters are that the bits will be more stable and robust: they are less likely to "bend"/deform underload, (somepeople do advance the timber to fast for cutters); you can use larger cutters, and the 1/2 range is vast compared to the 1/4 range, as you are limited to width of cutters
    the vibrations should not occur unless the cutter is either out of shape(bent slightly-if so throw it away- not safe) or the cutter was never balanced correctly during manufacture, good quality cutters are fully balanced:
    trust the above is of some assistance
    regards matt