is there good money in tiling

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by kitchen69, Jan 26, 2008.

1. kitchen69

kitchen69 New Member

just wanted to ask a few of the pro tilers on here a question. i am looking at making tiling my career after being made redundant last september. i laboured for a kitchen fitter and di some tiling . i realised that i really liked tiling alot but i am worried that its a trade that most people will attempt. so it worries me that there might not be that much money in it.

i hear some stories that people are earning over 150 a day tiling and that would be big bucks to me. i was going to write to some tilers and ask if i could tag along.

what do you guys think, is there a good career in tiling

thanks

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

GOOD tilers can earn very good money, unfortunately there are not that many really good tilers. If you are not properly trained and equipped you will come unstuck ( bad pun ) very quickly.

3. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

the problem i find is that anyone that has put 2 tiles on a wall regard themselves as a tiler where as most us lads make a profession out of it and do it all the time.

you only have to look in yellow pages to see how many class themselves as tilers (plumbing & tiling, joinery & tiling, painter decorator and tiler, burger fliping & tiling, pilot & tiling etc!) but if you were to get them around for a quote they wouldnt know what they were doing never mind the finished product.

even joe public try it.....how many jobs have you been to where the customer has said "I can do tiling, I did the tiling in our old house but weve not got the time to do it here so we got you in"??

I could make a fortune.....I once painted my lounge, fitted a tap in my bathroom, replaced a slate on my roof, put a bulb in my wall light and of corse I tile for a living so now i advertise as

PAINTER DECORATOR PLUMBER ROOFER ELECTRICIAN TILER.

I also popped two paracetamol this morning for a hangover so im considering adding doctor to the list

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Quite right.

5. kitchen69

kitchen69 New Member

hi

i totally agree. i hate it when people say tiling is easy or its part of a plasterers trade etc etc

my uncle was a terazzo tiler in the 60's ..5 year apprenticeship and worked for companies like quilligotties in manchester. he could float out walls in sand and cement and was what i call a real pro.

unfortunately he died when i was 22 and i left the building game to go into sales. i am 44 now and i have been back in the game for 6 months.

i learned how to plaster, and i did all his cuts and i have a good tech knowledge of tiles and natural stone and i did a course (****) but i need a good year working on commercial stuff to build up speed and improve my knowledge. i can do domestic stuff but swimming pools and commercials is where i feel i will gain

thanks guys, ps with my background, would 2 solid years at tiling get me at a decent level.

k69

6. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

Like anything, there is money to be made. In some areas eastern europeans have affected the whole market and driven wages down but if you're reliable and a hard worker you'll do well.

I'm an all rounder, tiling, decorating, plastering, plumbing etc. All self taught. It's not rocket science.

Last year I fitted a kitchen and a guy was tiling the hallway floor. He had been doing it for donkeys years and was telling me about how he used to tile north facing pantry's to keep them cool before everyone had fridges.

BUT he was so slow. The work was done to a good quality but no better than I would have done (in half the time he took)

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

"All self taught. It's not rocket science"....except plumbing of course ;)