Is this asbestos?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dee4321, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

IMG-20200721-WA0001.jpg

Hi there

Does this look like asbestos?

If not, is it likely to be attached to an asbestos flue?

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    maybe asbestos cement, (ac pipe)
    no problems if left alone

regards
    peter

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

+1 yes AC

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  4. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Thank you for your reply

5. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Thank you for reply

teabreak likes this.
  6. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Sorry follow up question.

I have read about blue and brown asbestos and it's quite scary as the builder had just chopped it off

7. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Actually any asbestos is terrifying me

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Builder wants a kick up the backside!
    It does look though as if he has disconnected at a obtuse bend joint rather than cutting which would create more dust.
    AC is normally white asbestos, still asbestos but less dangerous than the other two.

As an apprentice back in 1965 I worked with it quite a bit and no doubt ate quite a bit with my sandwiches ( used to drink my tea pretty hot people used to say I had an asbestos throat maybe that's why;)) while I would be very careful around it these days, I don't think you will have suffered any harm.:)

Tape a plastic bag over the end it is only the unpainted bit that is a tiny risk.
    Clean up any debris with a damp rag or paper towel and bin it.

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

White asbestos, which is what you will have here, is generally considered less hazardous than the others as it's chemically different.

10. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Thanks for your reply. This is before he chopped it off so he didn't disconnect anything!

Plus too late for any wet cleaning as it was done awhile ago , kitchen has been taken out and fitted since so I hope we will be ok as we have been living here through the demolition and renovation.

He did the same with all the piping, boiler, tank, just chopped and dumped in the loft and left us to clear and obviously we didn't know it was asbestos.

11. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Hiya
    Is there any chance it could be brown or blue? As obviously don't want it to be asbestos at all but..

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Did you fit the Kitchen yourself ? If you didn't, did you tell the fitters your suspicion about the flue ?
    Only asking because if you didn't, YOU are now responsible for them in regards to asbestos related ill health.
    Saying this as a warning to other fitters. In the late 1990's a very close friend fitted a kitchen in a 1950's house that was riddled with asbestos. He died an agonising death 4 years ago, he was about 16/17 stone normally. When he died he was skin and bone and about 4 stone.
    This stuff is just out there waiting to kill us, if you think for one second it's any form of asbestos.........................walk away........................let the customer pay to have it removed and don't go back until it is removed.

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As far as I know AC is 10 to 15% white asbestos. It is used because the fibres tend to be longer so better for strengthening cement. Brown and blue have smaller fibres more effective in smooth plasters and AIB better for heat insulation .

14. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Like I mentioned in post, we didn't know until much later

15. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Thank you for your reply

16. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

Plus the whole kitchen was demolished, then extended, then replastered etc before the fitters fitted new kitchen

17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No, you didn't. Your first post was on Tuesday. You didn't say anything about "much later". In fact your first post was "does this look like asbestos"

18. Dee4321

Dee4321 New Member

So? I am worried about what has happened. My wording is based on a picture taken back, but wanted opinions. Anyway you can believe what you want to believe

19. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

And there goes your claim against the builder :rolleyes:

20. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Let's be fair Dee4321 for whatever reason has become worried about previous work and asked if it was asbestos which we all agree it is.
    My views are the exactly the same as kitfit1 regarding asbestos, I too lost a friend and work colleague to Mesothelioma from work related asbestos exposure.

It was known before the first world war it was bad for workers health and fully confirmed before the second one, however you can understand they needed to continue using it in fireproofing during that time.
    Sad thing is after the war they had massive stocks of the stuff so instead of banning it for domestic use it got put in almost everything because it was cheap and plentiful.

The OP is not a builder or owner of a commercial premises who would be responsible for surveying their property for asbestos.
    Any builder with more than one brain cell should be on the lookout for risks and that flue pipe screams asbestos to me, so it seems unfair to suggest that Dee4321 would be responsible for the builders health.

stevie22 likes this.