Is this bad tiling?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Dolphin lover, Jul 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin lover

Dolphin lover New Member

Hi,
    We’ve just had our bathroom finished off recently by a professional plumber/tiler.
    The finish of it just seems messy with uneven joins in tiles, messy grouting, some tiles running in the wrong direction to others (against the direction of the pattern), and the window sill looks a mess. Some of the beading is also bent. The floor is very uneven too. Some tiles aren’t cut properly and touch together (no gap for grout) whilst some have quite big gaps filled with grout.
    We have spoken to the guy doing it and he has told us that to have a good tiling job we needed to have spent £75+ a square metre on our tiles and there’s nothing he could have done to make it any neater. Is this fair? We spent about £25 a sq metre on tiles which we didn’t think was ‘cheap’. He states that the issues with them not being straight are because the tiles were all different sizes but he has only told us this now when he’s finished the job. When we raised concerns whilst the job was ongoing he would just say not to worry as it’s normal and these things can be concealed by grouts.
    Have we expected too much to expect the tiles to be level and straight?
    Pics attached. Also this is our first home and first bathroom refit.
    Also our shower door isn’t hung properly and so doesn’t close magnetised as it should but that’s another story!

Attached Files:

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

He’s no tiler is all I’ll say. See what others say

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

I think, (imo) I would have withheld payment, as that is not professional. (you haven't paid him yet have you)?

He has (imo) given you a lot of rubbish in his replies.
    He is blaming everything else, but himself.

A pro would have stopped before now & told you about his concerns of the tiles.
    If at all there was anything wrong with them.

4. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Active Member

it is not good

5. Dolphin lover

Dolphin lover New Member

Thanks for your replies.
    We’ve not yet paid for the labour but have paid all materials for tiling as he purchased them (about £500).
    When we said that we were unaware of issues with tiles being different sizes (as we’d not seen each tile as they’re packaged) he said that it’s not his job to check them and that it’s basically our fault. We said that if he had raised the issue we’d have obviously taken the tiles back and got a refund.

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

clearly hasn't bothered using tile spacers. Doubtful the tiles are that bad out of the box, so I concur it's a poor job and he's talking out of his backside

7. masterdiy

The thing is, although you have not paid him, but purchased the materials, you still have a job done badly.
    To rectify this, you will need to hire a proper tiler.
    More than likely purchase some more tiles & materials.
    So, so far, you are into £500. Which I think you will not see again. (unless you take him to small claims)

I do hope someone else can come along with some helpful hints, as to going forward.
    All the best to you.

8. Dolphin lover

Dolphin lover New Member

The £500 paid for materials for our bathroom as a whole so included some plumbing parts, but we purchased the tiles. I’m not sure how much exactly of the materials bill was towards plumbing and how much towards tiling. Either way, I know that to have it re-tiled will be a case of paying for new tiles, new grout, adhesive etc and then the cost of labour.
    He is offering to sort the tiles that are facing the wrong way but maintains that it’s not his problem that the tiling is off.

9. masterdiy

I think that answers your question as to his ability to tile.

Question is, do you want him back, & are you prepared to have it redone?

10. kirkdx

kirkdx Member

I think that’s a pretty poor job, particularly for somebody who is charging for the job.

I’ve done a better job than that in our bathroom with tiles that cost far less than £25 a square metre and I’m most definitely not professional.

11. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It looks like the poorly fitted tiles have been badly cut, so saying they're unequal sizes isn't really an argument.
    I wouldn't accept some patterns being opposite.
    On the corners, it looks like maybe the tiles are at a right angle, but the wall is out of square?
    Not great to see but the chip in the corner should be covered by silicon.
    I think I'd list the issues and give the tiler a chance to put them right before paying.

12. Dolphin lover

Dolphin lover New Member

Thanks everyone.
    We have spoken with him and it’s been left as is and we’ve knocked some money off his fee and we’re going to get it sorted by someone else. He didn’t think there was an issue really so there didn’t seem like much that we could do in terms of fixing it as he didn’t believe there was anything to fix.

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

It’s a possibility that anyone else will say can’t do much with it. All gotta come off. Ppl don’t like sorting someone else’s mess out

14. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Unbelievable what some think is acceptable. I'd use the small claims court and report the tiler to Trading Standards and Rip Off Britain. Who will be their next victim?

15. fff

fff Active Member

It’s awful. I can’t understand why some people take no pride in their work. It’s his job- not like it’s a friend having to help you out. I hope you have better luck with the next person.

16. masterdiy

He should be reimbursing you for the bad workmanship, & wasting your money. You shouldn't pay for poor work.

17. Dolphin lover

Dolphin lover New Member

We are disappointed as he has messed up our shower door too but luckily we have a family member who can fix it. The same family member is also removing all the silicone and redoing as it’s a poor job (very thick in some places) so we’re going to see what it looks like when we’ve done these small tweaks.

18. masterdiy

"You shouldn't pay for poor work"
    Defiantly you shouldn't pay him.
    Knock all the remedial work costs off his labour. I'dd say call it quits.

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Although the end result isn't by any standards an acceptable finish for someone who proclaims to be a pro, I have unfortunately seen much worse.
    As for the tiles being out of square and different sizes, yes, it does happen and I have had to stop tiling jobs in the past when (usually after about half an hour) it becomes apparent. He should have done so too.
    Did you get the tiles from B&Q by any chance?

Jord86 likes this.
  20. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

You can't do that, there is no way no how you can fix that for the labour costs of the job.

I don't know who you hired but he sure as the squirty excretions from a cow isn't a tiler. If it was one or two bad joins then a lot of faff with a multitool and a grout rake and some skill might just about improve things. If you want a better finish across the whole bathroom it all has to come out, which will destroy at least the tiles and probably cause damage to the plaster or board underneath. You are going to need to pay for;

• Labour to remove all the tiles
    • Disposal of said tiles
    • Possible repair to plaster or board or whatever the subsurface is
    • New tiles, adhesive, trims, grout, silicone - the works
    • Labour for install
    Price of tiles has nothing to do with it. I've done a good amount of tiling with about the cheapest you can buy, and they are fine. When it comes to tiling, if you do a good job then a good tradesman could feasibly blame his tools because you do need some half decent kit to make a good job of it, but you can't blame the tiles. Even if you had bought rubbish tiles and the sizes were all off by a couple of mm, any competent tiler would notice - probably before the adhesive ever hit the wall.

The small claims process is something to look at, it's been written about so many times on this forum I'm not going to wear down my keyboard, do some searching on the forum, the trades and scenarios may be different but the process is essentially the same.

Having said all of that... I will also say that Longboat is right. I've seen much much worse tiling jobs than that. I'd be annoyed as well, but I doubt I'd go through with ripping it out - you're looking at it with a more macro eye because it's just been done. By the time the towels are on the rail, shampoo bottles in the shower and toothbrushes by the sink, it'll look more like a nice new bathroom, and you won't look as closely at the spacing of the tiles.

longboat, WillyEckerslike and Jord86 like this.