Is this bad workmanship for re-pointing?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by birke92, Nov 26, 2020.

1. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

When I was a kid growing up (mind you, I grew up in a typical working class family) apprenticeships were the norm for kids from the age of fifteen onwards. I rarely hear of apprenticeships these days which is a crying shame.

As with decorating this old place. The previous owners had hacked at it so much, adding on and doing an incredibly bad job.. I had wanted to restore it to its heritage but that wasn't possible so on the inside it was a case of modernising it (no choice about that sadly). But internally, some of the old woodwork remains which is in poor condition so when it comes to preparing it for repainting, there's lots of filling in/sanding to do and even then it's difficult to do because of location such as the old skirting running up the stairs - it had more holes than a cheese grater! I would have liked to have replaced them but they're originals and now that I've got to fork out nearly 7k for the roof repairs/air bricks installations to front and back, I'm at my limit budget-wise. I think if I ply on enough gloss coatings people won't notice as much :D

My biggest problem with wallpapering is how to get a neat edge where it meets the skirting board. It doesn't matter how many YouTube videos I've watched, I still cannot get a straight edge that's uniform all the way along! I think it may be easier if I apply it and leave it to dry before using a new blade to score it off, perhaps?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bit of a generalisation that, my late brother was a surveyor and one of the nicest humans you could ever have met, certainly didn't fit that below the belt description.:mad:...:eek:.:rolleyes:

3. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

You’re like the messiah of decorating Astramax. Do you realise your worth? It’s not a joke. Do you teach in a college or take on apprentices? Because we need you and people like you to teach the next generation how to do it and how it’s done.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Academy for that.

5. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

See what I mean JayCee? Not interested. And that’s the issue with building trade in this country... it’s pass the buck.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not at all, I started work 51 years ago....think I have done my bit.:cool:

7. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

I asked if you were willing to pass on your knowledge to others outside of this forum.

8. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Nanook will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he meant that to mean as people and their characters. I think our experiences stem from period properties and most chartered surveyors miss a lot of issues as a result of limited knowledge of these types of properties but that's more of a criticism of the RICS criteria.

Nanook likes this.
  9. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Let's face it, we know nothing of people beyond these forums and many (fruitloops abound on the internet as it's their playground) people are loath to put themselves out there so I took Astramax's Dulux comment as a "You're not being my apprentices" bit of flippancy ;)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nanook is also female so not 'he'. There appears to be way to much slagging the tradesman off on this forum of recent days, please remember it is a small number of chancers that give decent honest time served tradesmen a bad name, if people post on here asking if they have got a bad job it's because they know they have got a bad job, but also ask yourself why....the other company wanted 3 times as much and this bloke was a lot cheaper and said he could start tomorrow but he doesn't take the rubbish away and he used my tools I had in the shed.

Abrickie and Jord86 like this.
  11. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Just stick to making the tea, mine's milk, no sugar...:)

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

While your at it.....same here!.......and a biscuit or two please.:D

gadget man likes this.
  13. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Please point out where we have slagged you off Astramax?

I’ve nothing but respect for you but I’ve said I don’t understand why, if you aren’t doing it - that you don’t have apprenticeships or similar. Because I think you are amazing. I’ve said so time after time.

14. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Nanook, you obviously have no idea what is involved in taking on an apprentice, it requires not only a significant financial commitment but is also a huge personal responsibility, it appears you have had some issues with members of the general building trades in the past and now want to tar everyone with the same brush, you know nothing of an individual’s personal circumstances, nor how, when or if they make any concession for passing on their hard earned experience and knowledge just because they choose not to share that information with you.
    Now put the kettle on...

Abrickie, Jord86 and Sparkielev like this.
  15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

finding an apprentice is not easy especially one who wants to learn, most young lads want quick money doing very little, I was lucky I had one for 5yr who ended up being really good he gone on to better things now but I doubt I would do it again

Jord86 likes this.
  16. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

I should have said 'they' because I have no clue nor should I anyway. Actually, there's also considerable praise if you take a look through, people do whinge at not being able to get a good tradesman for months but that is ultimately a compliment because we know they're in such high demand - if anything, the criticism is for those who do pass themselves off as experienced tradesmen in their field and that should also anger the reputable tradesmen who are often having to come and rectify the poor work of others. Classic example, my roof was done in January (multiple issues highlighted), the roofer stated they'd undertaken all the work I had paid them for and now I've extensive damage as a result - the new roofers who I have absolute faith in showed me the video of what they found on my roof and NONE of the work the previous roofer was paid for had been undertaken. And to level that off, I have one of the best plasterers in the NW working on my property who I can't praise enough and it's a sheer joy having him provide such a crucial service for me - he takes immense pride in his work and rightly so. I can hear him chatter away while he's working - he's unaware I can hear him, I'm gifted with ears of a bat hah! And people like him with his work ethic need to be cloned.

You make a fair comment re. dodgy workers and people needing to take some responsibility for ultimately hiring them, but some are so skilled at manufacturing an air of confidence that they do have the correct cards, they can point people in the direction of reviews, they do have their own tools and are seemingly accredited. But you also must acknowledge that persons, such as me, are having to trust someone working on our property and expect the work to be of a standard that's stated at the point of hiring, few people would know what the average costs involved are for a reroof for example as they can vary considerably so I'm sure that applies to other trades, too.

I made a comment earlier regarding the potential of a national registration for traders so that they must be licensed to trade. I think I read something recently in the news about that as a consideration. What do you, as a professional, think of such a licensing system for tradesmen?

Nanook likes this.
  17. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Yes I know what it’s like to take on an apprentice. I’ve done it in my job. They are either keen or not bothered. Either way, you’ve got to try and figure out how to teach them and handle them in the right way without offending anyone. Never easy, but worth it when you see them doing it for themselves. I’m not from the building trade, have said this in many of my posts. But like me, you’re not performing neurological surgery. It’s not hard to do a good job but it does take practice. Some are naturals, some aren’t but learn to be good.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I didn't say you slagged me off, I wrote a lot of posts of recent had slagged trademen off for poor workmanship.

20 years ago I looked into taking on a young lad who wanted to learn the ropes so to speak, the insurance premium was horrendous due to the fact that the lad was completely deaf which is rare to have no hearing at all, I was honestly upset that I couldn't help this guy but understood the safety risks.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  19. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Oh for sure, and I think that's more to do with knowing that it's easy to acquire money for very little effort now and there's way too much of a financial support system for kids (spoonfed generations, which is a generalisation and obviously does not apply to all youngsters getting ready for life beyond school). May I ask why you wouldn't likely opt to take on another apprentice, Sparkielev, is it the sheer enormity of responsibility?

20. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

I think and still think you’re top. Regardless of the battering I’ve had on here. I’ve used your ways and products you recommend and I’ve nothing bad to say about you. Your advice has always been fantastic. I’m only sorry that you remain just on here, an assumption which may not be correct, when I believe you are an asset to your community and we are missing out on your knowledge and experience.

Astramax likes this.