Is this flashing correct?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kelly Wade, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Kelly Wade

Kelly Wade New Member

Hi. I've had the flashing replaced around my dormers (stupidly thought they would run the lead all the way along, but only under windows). However, there are big gaps. I thought flashing should be water tight. Does this look correct? They have placed the lead over the old lead.

Attached Files:

2. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

Hi
    In my view, to replace the flashing, the hanging tile need to be removed!

Can I assume you have, or had water ingress?

Regards
    Peter

3. Kelly Wade

Kelly Wade New Member

Yes i have. Unfortunately between the windows where it hasn't been replaced. It has lead mastic (if that's what it called to repair). I just wondered if the big gaps between the new and old lead work should be there.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As kiaora mentions, you would have had to remove the tiles to replace the old flashing. Whilst its difficult to see from "flash1" and "flash2" the gap could have been left to let any water escape from behind the tile hangng

5. Kelly Wade

Kelly Wade New Member

Ok thank you. My concern was that the water would run beneath the new flashing and pool.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its difficult to tell what is under the window apron - you could always lift up the bottom edge and have a look ?

7. Kelly Wade

Kelly Wade New Member

Just the original lead work.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If it is troubling you, the edge of the new lead should not be fixed, so you should be able to ease it up gently to see what is underneath

9. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

The way to think, when dealing with lead work, is not so much water proof, more of diverting water!

The rain will get in the little gaps around the tiles, and elsewhere, the lead is to divert it to discharge away,
    As sospan says, it’s not to be fixed all round, it needs to move with the temperature,
    It’s quite an interesting subject, if you see silicone on a job, it’s not been properly “dressed” , it’s a dying art I’m afraid.

Plumber, = lead worker!

Regards
    Peter

KIAB likes this.
  10. Kelly Wade

Kelly Wade New Member

Thanks everyone. Good to know its OK.