Is this kind of thing normal on a full rewire?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by FirstTimeRenovator, May 9, 2018.

1. FirstTimeRenovator

FirstTimeRenovator New Member

Hi, we are doing a full renovation at the moment and the electrician started a full rewire in mid January, and is only just about to get it tested today. However, I have been under the floorboard upstairs and noticed this (image below). Is this kind of thing normal for a full rewire? I always thought that proper junction boxes should be used.

We have not been too impressed with his workmanship overall, but things like this don't seem safe, and want to address it before he is paid in full.

Any advice welcome.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Certianly not, should be terminated in a junction box or similar.

Wonder what other horrors you haven't found.

3. FirstTimeRenovator

That's what I thought. I am worried that there are a lot more of these around the house. I think he even talked about joining a 10mm cooker cable as the one he put in wasn't long enough. But I don't know if this is in a similar way, or whether he has boxed it properly.

Do you think it best to try and do a full check before final amount is paid? Would this kind of thing come up in the test he is having done?

Thanks!

4. You should not have any junction boxes on a rewire, except for on lighting circuits where you have downlights or cannot get all the cables in the fitting.

Where it would not be against the regs to install a maintenance free junction box on a rewire any reputable Electrician would not do so.

As the picture is not absolutely clear are you sure these are the new cables,if they are he needs thrown off the job.

Heat likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't pay hime full stop,show him the door..

Just can't see how you can make such a error with 10mm T&E being too short:confused:.

I would also be concerned about his electrical installation testing abilities,('Dead testing' and 'Live testing'), think it best to see what the sparks on here have to say.

6. I have given my opinion,the rest of the sparks should agree on this one.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not disagreeing at all, just concern as to whether he will do all the required tests,or is capable to perform them in correct order, considering his poor standard of wiring.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If he has to 'get it tested' as you said he's obviously not registered or he would be testing, certifying and notifying the job himself. Just one point though, are you sure your picture shows new wiring? it looks like it could be some old stuff left lying around from before the rewire.

KIAB likes this.
  9. If that snotter joint is the new wiring and that is what he does, I do not think he would be concerned about handing out a dodgy EIC.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When I reread OP you make sense with regards 'get it tested' I was thinking it has been delayed due to other work causing delays.:oops:

Worked for a while with a spark, my first job was to strip out all old wiring were possible on a rewire before running new wire.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

He won't be the first or last to do it.

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

OP, are you sure this is his work and not some old cabling that just hasn't been removed? It's just that it looks very dusty and I would expect the insulation tape to look newer than that. Same with the cabling below.

13. FirstTimeRenovator

Hi, they are definitely new cables, just very dusty as we are plastering and everything else at the moment, so very dusty.

Quite worried now, he has had most of the quoted money off us already, so will not pay him anymore until we have this checked out. If everything else is okay, is it still a problem that he has to get someone else to test it? Is there anything else we would need to ensure we are okay from an insurance etc. Point of view?

Thanks!

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Whats a ''snotter joint''

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Its that taped joint, looks like a load of dripping snot JP. Its also "s'not a joint"

That job is as rough AF. Makes my work look truly professional.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right..thanks for that Doc.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That picture certainly doesn’t look like new wiring / tape but, may have been ‘splattered’ with recent building works and hence ‘ageing’ its appearance. Differant coloured grey sheaths as well ? Would have thought all same shade of grey

Maybe good idea to lift a few more boards while you have the chance but, how do you know where any JBs may be ?

Could just be old redundant wiring that’s been disconnected but, thought sparks usually remove this where practical as has some scrap value for them

Have a look inside socket and light back boxes (metal) to see if grommets have been fitted to cable knock outs. Not actually a regulation (I believe) but if omited, the sign of scrappy work, and sleeving on all bare earth cores - interesting

18. FirstTimeRenovator

They are new cables, I have traced them back and seem to form the cabling for the spot lights in the hallway below. Some of the back boxes and light back boxes have already been plastered in, however, I do remember noting that the rubber grommets were only present on a handful of them. He did leave an old back box in, which he ran the cable through for the light switch to the new back box in order to "tidy it up". I removed this myself, as I didn't think it was right.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

An electrician did not do that job

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Do not part with any cash for this charlatan, take lots of photos of his work, go onto social media and see if he has form.

KIAB likes this.