Is this paint ok to use?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RolandK, Jun 28, 2021.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Hi
    I've had an unopened tin of Crown Trade Extreme Scrubbable Matt stored for over a year. Just opened it and on top a thick layer of yellow liquid. Seems to have mixed up ok with paint mixer in drill but just wanted to check if you guys reckon it's ok to use? An expensive tin of paint to dump but would rather do that than risk a bad job!
    Cheers

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes it will be okay, it's settled in the container so should be fine as long as it didn't freeze.

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Thanks Astra
    It was kept indoors so shoud be ok. I'll get cracking then!
    Cheers

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Give it a very, very good stir with a broad stirring stick.

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Ok, is that better than one of those 'whisk' type stirrers?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Was thinking more of the settled pigments in the containers base edges etc so you get a true colour mix.

7. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yeah, good point

Astramax likes this.
  8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As that paint is a durable, washable emulsion, it’s got a lot more ‘stuff’ in it than a regular contact type emulsion

Resins, chemicals, binders, who knows what else - hence the thick layer of yellow liquid on top - bit oily looking

All will be fine, good paint and as you say expensive so no need to waste it or to be alarmed :)

9. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Kitchen job just completed and found the Crown emulsion excellent. For the paintwork used Bullseye 123 over old oil based eggshell. I still rubbed down the old finish finish even though it doesn't seem necessary for the Bullseye. Just a bit old fashioned I guess! Followed up with a coat of the Bedec advanced primer/undercoat then 2 coats of Bedec advanced satin. All as advised by Astra so thanks to him for the tips. If I have one issue I found the Bedec Satin difficult to get all the brush marks out but maybe just my technique. Used Wooster Silver Tip and Chinex brushes.
    Bedroom next!!!