Is this pva showing through on freshly painted walls ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by chuzzwuzzer, Sep 10, 2018.

1. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Just had room newly plastered a few weeks ago. Mist coated the room yesterday with leyland contract matt. Today thought I'd give it a coat of leyland matt on the ceiling and walls but theres a few patches that arent covering particularly well and wondering if the plasterer has been a bit slap happy with pva or something. If so what can I use that wont flash through any new coats of paint. Tried some zinsser stain paint in the past and had a nightmare trying to stop it flashing through. The white isnt going to be final colour on walls but I doubt this would cover another with another coat. Taken a couple of pics but not overly clear.

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Were both coats contract matt?

3. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Yes one mist coat of leyland contract then used another coat neat. Looks a bit better now its dried a bit more but still see quite a few of patches that the paint hasn't taken overly well. Only done the 2 walls in the undiluted coat of leyland so far and I've stopped as I'm worried its going to have to be sanded back.

4. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

here is a pic of a mist coated wall that has patches showing through

Attached Files:

5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

If its not flaking off, its probably a couple of patches where the plaster is a bit more 'polished' and therefore less absorbent.

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  6. Astramax

Another coat will probably sort the problem, I'm sorry to say 'that's contract matt for '! not unusual.:);)

Jord86 likes this.
  7. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

So am i best doing 1 coat of the contract matt after the mist coat then a couple of coats of my chosen paint ?

8. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I prime with acrylic primer undercoat. Big debate and lots of chat about the pros and cons but modern wb undercoat will go on plaster and can be tinted. I'll be getting one tinted tomorrow and putting on plaster and when dry coat with emulsion. Some of this cheap contract emulsion is naff stuff although good if you need walls to dry for a few months. Most contact emulsion has no sealing properties.

9. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Only really got the contract trade for the mist coat originally. Just panicking as to why it was leaving patches that wouldn't cover particularly well. Could I be painting too soon if it was plastered a few weeks ago ? Would i be better with something like Dulux trade supermatt now ?

10. Astramax

No, contract matt paints contains no vinyl, as I said in a previous reply that's what contract matt is like and another coat or two will solve the problem.

CGN likes this.
  11. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

OK cheers. Just wondered if i should just skip doing anymore coats of the contract and go straight for some matt vinyl ?

12. Astramax

No reason why not, do you have a decent brand that covers well and has a high opacity.

13. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

What would you recommend as a decent brand?

14. Astramax

As a decorator I tend to stick with Dulux Trade paint, not everyone will agree with that choice as many other brands are available some being well known and others quite obscure, however my customers who are mostly elderly can relate to the Dulux name and therefore are comfortable with it.

15. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Well final paint still has a few marks. The patches under the window are where the shelf was glued on. I had scraped the brown silicone **** off but the stains are still visible. I've tried a couple of coats of zinsser cover stain under the window but not working. Not sure what to use on the other stain or whats even caused it ?

Attached Files:

16. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Check window is sealed externally .

17. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

It's defiantely where the glue was. It's not damp although that's what it looks like.