Is this reflective staining?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Catseyes1983, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

We had a patio laid a month ago. Grey sandstone with black grout.
    It was laid on a full mortar bed but now looks like the photo.

We also have stains from the grout we were told would brush off. A few weeks of rain and it looks awful. What would you ask the contractor to do?
    We paid as it looked great in the hot weather when it was laid. This cost a lot of money.

Attached Files:

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

It’s weathering as to be expected.

3. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

After just a few weeks of being laid? Those marks do not come off even with hard scrubbing.

I know natural stones will weather over time but so quickly? 90% of the patio looks like this. It looks a mess. An expensive mess.

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I was in a builders merchant and a lady was choosing gravel, she said she did want the red gravel that was in the display because it was too dull, she wanted the bright red gravel that was in the heap in the storage bays.

As you have probably guessed it was the same gravel, it had just weathered on the display.

It is what it is.

5. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

Looks alright to me

Creek likes this.
  6. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

Really??

Attached Files:

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I remember many gears ago running a big road job in Tottenham and having the council engineer telling me he'd stopped the surfacing crew doing the footways as the red asphalt was too red!!!! After explaining to him, for the umpteenth time, in words of one syllable that he wasn't allowed to talk to the guys directly and that red was red my foreman wandered onto the next job bearing pickaxe and brought me back a sample of their footpath.

Dropped on his desk with a loud bang he agreed that was the colour he wanted. Turned it over to show the unfaded underside and his face was a picture!!

I tried desperately to get the subbie to tell me the stuff had gone off and would have to be tipped but they wouldn't take the hint so it only cost him standing time.

Happy days!!

8. Joshuaojs

Joshuaojs Active Member

I'm not so convinced this is weathering. I'm wondering if they have applied a primer underneath the slab and have not applied it evenly, this would allow parts of the slab to show uptake of moisture from the ground. I'm not sure of that but I just don't see how this is weathering after a few weeks. I've had the same slabs down for 12months now and they are as good as the day they were laid

9. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

It’s been down since June 10th so literally just a few weeks,

10. Joshuaojs

Joshuaojs Active Member

Id be waiting for a very hot dry spell, if the marks fade or disappear then your answer is moisture showing unevenly throughout slabs

11. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

Thanks. We’ve had a few days like that but they don’t disappear. They do look a bit less obvious when’s it’s very dry.
    It’s so irritating.