Is this waste pipe connection correct?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sean12xu, Feb 16, 2021.

1. sean12xu

sean12xu New Member

I have a dishwasher and washing machine in a utility room off the kitchen. There are 2 separate waste pipe connections on the main pipe and I'm wondering if this is correct? Photo here

It looks to me (as a very unqualified person!) as though if the dishwasher waste pipe flows downward the water will flow into the waste of the washing machine and into the machine itself.

It's a small space so I understand why it has been connected this way to allow room for a small shelf if we want one.

Any help is appreciated. Please ignore the electrics as an electrician is going to fix this.

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

A better way to do it would be a washing machine upstand with a 2 x spigot adapter on top. I’ll try to find you part numbers.

sean12xu likes this.
  3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

C3603FBB-8AF8-47A1-8B46-EB4E98ACAB3B.jpeg 0678AC57-3A84-4A07-90DA-9902353D8467.jpeg

sean12xu likes this.
  4. sean12xu

sean12xu New Member

That's what we expected. A qualified plumber did install the setup you see but I wasn't sure about this.

I think the reason he set it up like that is because the cupboard is tiny and think he said something like the piping wouldn't fit well if he tried a different connector. I would've preferred the one shown in your suggestion but I'm not sure if it'll be fine as is.

5. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

That’s a right old lash up I’m afraid with the washing machine plumbed into where the trap will be trying to drain to.

Is that silicone at the very top an attempt to cap it?

6. sean12xu

sean12xu New Member

As far as I'm aware. I had wondered why he was putting silicone there. Again I think he was justifying this with where the core cut holes were in the cabinet and how tight the space was for pipes. I think he wanted to take the pipes as high as possible but it looks strange to me too and I'm no plumber

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

ugh - "qualified" plumber. i wonder what his qualifications were? surely not in plumbing or doing a professional neat job to be proud of. Ah, i've got it, bodging... yes that's it, qualified bodger...

8. sean12xu

sean12xu New Member

Apparently 20 years odd with a city council and 20 odd years with Mears :/ trust me to get stung! Thanks for setting the record straight guys.