Is this Wet rot, Dry rot or neither?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by pendu, May 7, 2018.

1. pendu

pendu New Member

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this outdoor banister post has some kind of wood rot or not. I have attached pictures.

My plan is to clean and paint the banister but need to know if I should be treating the top of the post first. But I have no idea what has happened to the post, it's almost like someone has been putting hot cooking item on it or putting out cigarette butts for the last 10 years.

In any case I am also wondering if it should be filled in? If so I am unlikely to come across an exactly matching filler so what could I use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Treated softwood , the core rots out , save the planet and don't varnish wood

3. pendu

pendu New Member

Moved in last September and was hoping I could avoid replacing the banister until a few more years still.

What kind of wood rot product can I use? and what product for generally protecting the wood from weathering?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Inject or soak it well with something like Ronseal Wood Hardener.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Drill hole about 7-8mm diameter down centre of post , then fill with Wood Hardener, top up as required.

6. pendu

pendu New Member

Thanks guys for your help, will get on it now.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

When you’ve put wood hardener in, get a capping made ( bit like a short pyramid) and fix that to the top of it. At least any rain will run off instead of pooling on the post. ;);)

8. pendu

pendu New Member

Will do, thanks John!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Competitor sells the cap 96744, about £1.20p each.

Don't try to fix without drilling a pilot hole,as highly they will split in two.:)