Isolator for electric shower

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billybo', Apr 21, 2006.

1. billybo'

billybo' New Member

I'm doing my bathroom and am refitting the electric shower. I will employ an electrician to connect to consumer unit and test but know a bit about what I'm doing and want to prepare the ground work for this.

Although the shower will need an isolation switch, does this need to be a pull cord in the bathroom? I don't like the cord hanging down so would prefer to put a cooker style switch *in the corridor outside*. Will this comply with regs?

Also, does the earth bond back to the CU need to be an unbroken length? I need to re-route the cable so ideally would like to joint it.

Thanks in advance...

2. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

ideally u shoud have isolation local to the shower, in the same room.
    as for the earth, if you already have equipotential bonding to gas and water there is no need to run a seperate earth to the consumer unit. u need to run a 4mm around to each extraneous part in the bathroom (hot, cold, rad, metal bath etc) and then run a 4mm up to ur light (assuming it is in zone)

3. Brunokid

Brunokid New Member

Sounds like you haven't got a clue mate

Leave it to your Part P sparkie

4. SHREWSBURY BISCUIT

SHREWSBURY BISCUIT New Member

the prefersd install is pull swich and rcd protection for a shower,is also the manufacturers guide,however the regs require only 45A double pole isolator,so your cooker switch in the corridor should comply..as for running a earth cable back 2 the c.u. as the man says no need just ensure all metalwork in that bathroom is correctly earthed....i stand 2b shot down..

5. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

disagree with the above post. u should have local isolation. not in a cupboard somewhere down the hall

6. SHREWSBURY BISCUIT

SHREWSBURY BISCUIT New Member

whats wrong with isolation outside the bathroom door?

7. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

accessories should be suitably located in a readily accessible position. i would argue placing a 45a switch outside the room contravenes this

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Cooker isolators should be within 2metres of the appliance. I dont know if specifically the same applies to bathroom showers. Tell me the BS7671 reg so we can all learn.

Bazza

9. Eye Squared R

Eye Squared R Active Member

Local isolation is not for use by the person in the shower - if a fault caused electrocution you would not have time to isolate the supply. It would however, be useful for a 3rd party to remove the supply on finding you. Outside the bathroom wall would suffice in this case.

Lets apply a little common sense and less mindless adherence to regulations!

10. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

if however the 3rd party went into the bathroom and cudnt see a pull switch how is he/she supposed to know where to isolate?

everyone knows a 45a pullcord but does everyone know that a 45a cooker switch is to turn a shower off? i think not

id say it is common sense to have an isolator in the same room as the load it is isolating. it isnt mindless adherence, it is this common sense u quote!!!

11. chelski spark

chelski spark New Member

ideally u shoud have isolation local to the shower,
    in the same room.
    as for the earth, if you already have equipotential
    bonding to gas and water there is no need to run a
    seperate earth to the consumer unit. u need to run a
    4mm around to each extraneous part in the bathroom
    (hot, cold, rad, metal bath etc) and then run a 4mm
    up to ur light (assuming it is in zone)

Regulation 601-04-01 requires that the conductor terminals of each circuit supplying class 1 and class 2 electrical equipment in zones 1, 2 or 3, and extraneous-conductive-parts in these zones, are all connected together by local supplementary equipotential bonding conductors complying with Regulation Group 547-03.

So before you large it too much Notts get your facts right
    first.

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

where in the regs does it say a shower needs an isolator switch local ?

13. chelski spark

chelski spark New Member

where in the regs does it say a shower needs an
    isolator switch local ?

Perhaps Nottsspark can answer this one. He seems to be very confident in his posts.

14. weasel

weasel Member

Just because it`s not in the regs does not mean it`s not a good idea or indeed good practice. I for one like to switch the shower off at the isolator when I`m going out and at night, as do many people. You wouldn`t expect someone to have to go to the consumer unit and switch off the correct mcb everytime they wanted to do this would you? Do you then not install fan isolators and fused spurs above worktops for appliances? Or indeed cooker switches?

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

i thought the isolator switch was for electricians working on the shower ?
    tho i would turn off at mains and lock off,safe isolation.

16. chelski spark

chelski spark New Member

Listen Weasel nobody said anything about not having a isolator. It is whether to have a isolator in or out of the bathroom. By the way why are called Weasel? Is it your nickname or something?

17. billybo'

billybo' New Member

Re. earthing:
    From this earlier topic http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=34671&tstart=300, I assume that the pipe to the shower is an 'external conductive part' and should therefore be earthed back to the CU (although it's only exposed under the bath).

Re. isolator:
    currently you can reach it from the shower, not my work, anything has to be better, right? The bathroom is very small so you're always going to be able to reach a pull cord from the bath or sink (or constantly confuse it with the light switch). I've seen several installations where the isolator is outside the door.

I guess the question is, from a professional point of view, if you turned up to install the shower and found the isolator in the corridor outside the bathroom, would you have a fit or take a pragmatic view on whether this complied and go ahead and fit?

18. X

X New Member

Fit.

19. X

X New Member

It is also allowed to have a pull cord isolator on a short pull cord

20. billybo'

billybo' New Member

Thanks all.

Plan a is to install switch in corridor <gasps of horror from some quarters> but if routing the cable proves tricky e.g. fishing it inside the stud wall, will go for the short cord option next to the light switch (thanks for the tip).

Professional will do the install anyway and also fit RCD as circuit is currently only on MCB.