Isoltaor switches

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Barton, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Barton

Barton Member

I am having a Pergola installed in my garden with two 2kw heaters and eletric blinds. I have run a 4mm 3 core swa over the 18m length from the CU to the site. I have terminated that 4mm swa in an IP rated box and taken three 2.5mm SWA's across to the Pergolas "power leg", one cable for each heater and a seperate one for the blinds. The 4mm SWA will be run from a dedicated 30amp RCBO. the Pergola installers now tell me that thye simply connect the cables and wont be nstalling isolators. my problem i sthat the cable shave now been buried under a new patio so i have little play in them. i guess i should install three waterproof fused isolator spurs to each of the 2,5mm SWA's as they are outside but a si can only find 1 gang spurs i fear i dont have enough play in the cables to now install them. Are there multi gang fused spurs available or could I install a single isolator inside the main building in the 4mm feed from the consumer unit?

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ask the registered electrician who is doing this notifiable work.

3. adgjl

adgjl Member

Has your registered electrician done the calculations to show that size of cable / fuse is compliant?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Obv. You have to select the cpd at the origin to protect the smallest cable. Then you won’t be able to power the environmentally unfriendly air heaters. :p Perhaps that’s the benefit.

That’s the sort of thing that adds to melting of the icecaps.

5. Barton

Barton Member

Thats not very helpful. The cables are the correct size and the works will be certified by Building Control. I was rather hoping that I might have gained some constructive input.

6. IW guy

IW guy New Member

You have.

"Then you won’t be able to power the environmentally unfriendly air heaters. Perhaps that’s the benefit.

That’s the sort of thing that adds to melting of the icecaps."

Trying to heat the outside is the most wasteful, environmentally damaging thing you can do.

7. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

I've never understood why people want outside heaters, just put a jumper on... I did a job for that guy a while back where he wanted an outdoor heater, I asked why..he said he wanted to be outside when its colder in the evenings..(facepalm)

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You lucky. Not many LABCs do that service that any more.

9. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

You can make multi way fuse spurs with grid components and then put the assembly in a waterproof enclosure, or you could use an outdoor consumer unit with 13A MCBs instead of fuses, you would need to do your research as not every brand of CU makes 13A MCBs

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Why would they need to be 13A MCBs?:rolleyes:

11. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Using a grid system you can have 4 fuses in a double socket box, but as said not your worry that is down to guy designing, installing and inspecting and testing the work and signing for it.