Issue with EasiFill 20

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Oct 31, 2018.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

hi all

Been prepping a room at my mums to decorate. Painted walls, so rub down, wash, fill and sand dings and few cracks, mist coat, ready to paint over

Used EasiFill several times and picked up a new bag recently, good stuff to use .... usually ?

Every ding and crack filled, then sanded down perfectly smooth, then spot primed with a mist coat

Within minutes, the filler is swelling and then sitting proud of the wall

Sanded down all filler again once mist coat dried, again, perfectly flat and blended in to surrounding wall

Hit with a mist coat again, it swells again ...... Grrrrrrrrrr

Have now sanded back again and primed with Zinnser Cover Stain, not had this issue before and done loads similiar decorating without this issue

Have also used Toupret before but picked up Easi Fill this time

Anyone had same problem out of interest ?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Ain't seen that before,how long do you leave filler to dry.

3. DIYDave.

Plenty of time - overnight in fact

Prepped, filled and sanded on sat
    Mist coat and paint on Sunday (or that was the plan) :eek:

One wall didn’t need that much filling but another wall had several cracks, badly filled screw holes and general ‘dings’, so mist coated the whole wall

Every filler patch has swollen and I know I sanded them down totally flat (I’m fussy and ocd so actually a great combination) :D

Strangly enough, another wall had small area of blown plaster so removed, brush down, pva 1-5 and easi fill skim in 2 layers. Mist coated and no problem with swelling ?

It seems the smaller shallower areas are reacting with the water in mist coat

For now have sanded down again and given a coat of Cover Stain. Will have to wait to next w end now for next bash

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

It's most likely the PVA I suspect reacting with the water, just damp down hole with plain water & see what happens.

I'm very anti PVA, can cause so much grief.:D

5. DIYDave.

Uv misunderstood my last post Kiab !

I’ve only used pva on the blown patch of plaster as was down to block in patches

Blown area was around 250x100mm. 2 coats of easi fill and a sand down and dried perfect after mist coating - no swelling of filler

Cracks and dings just brush down and fill - NO pva !