Issue with EasiFill 20

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Oct 31, 2018.

1. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

Maximum half a cm if that. They’re only dinks really. There is some bare plasterboard where the builder rubbed off the paint when trying to clean off some grout. Very small amounts here and there, but might need priming first? I sometimes sand a little too much too and the plasterboard shows through.

Would a photo help?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That thickness will be fully dry by tomorrow am.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

25% of (750 grams) =
    187.5 grams
    Just let Google do the maths

4. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

Oh right, so they mean 25% of the amount of paint not a 3:1 paint:water ratio as that would be 750grams:250grams.

25% seems like a lot of water to water the primer down with?

Do you always water your acrylic primer down before applying? and subsequently do you water down the emulsion before applying on top of the primer or apply as is?

Have you found the Toupret to show through when you’ve painted straight over it (no primer)? Though i’d happily use acrylic primer if it’s fail safe.

If I were to spot prime (as some of the walls are large so don’t really want to coat the entirety of the wall) the primer won’t flash through?

5. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

I have to wait a month or so before I can start. Work is crazy at the moment :(.

6. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

I also brush off the dust rather than use sugar soap or anything similar. Is that alright? I’ve used water/sugar soap in the past and it just causes more problems because the old paint just wipes off leaving bare plasterboard.

I also usually sand the wall down so it’s completely smooth. Is this bad as there won’t be a key for the new paint to grab to?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like you are making up the sugar soap way too strong and hot, contact matt will wash off as it has no vinyl content. Washing the walls with sugar soap is pre preparation not after. The posts read like you are over thinking the job and that's what's giving you problems.

8. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

I am definitely overthinking as decorating has always gone wrong. Even when we’ve got a decorator in that’s gone wrong.

I don’t remember the sugar soap being warm at all. It just wiped paint off as it would do with contract matt. Hence why I switched to brushing it off.

If the walls are too smooth would the new paint have trouble sticking to it?

Please could you send over a list of bullet points describing exactly what you would do in my position, step by step. I’ll follow that. (Including when you think paint down and when not to etc.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I doubt in this case if the walls are too smooth.

As for bullet points that's a @Diydave quality as he writes much more fluently than myself.

Painting over contract matt really does soak the paint up apply a thinned down coat of emulsion as the first coat of circa 15-20% and let dry a second cost thinned 10% would be fine.

10. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

How should I contact DIYDave?

Do you really need to thin the second coat down? By thinning the first coat down 15-20% that’s almost like doing a mist coat isn’t it?

If I did go ahead with the acrylic primer, depending on how much filling is needed and bare plasterboard is showing, I‘ll do one coat and water that down 25% (seems like a lot)? what would I then do watering down wise for the emulsion?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown Trade paints will take thinning well, you must read and take on board what's been written in the advice given as you are going over what's been answered in prior questions.

12. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

I’m confused to be honest. As I understand it, I have a couple of options:

Option 1
    - paint emulsion straight over the Toupret filler (no need to spot prime). Thin the first coat of emulsion down by 15-20% then the second by 10%

Option 2
    - spot prime the filler with acrylic primer. Thin down by 25%. If most of the wall is covered in filler then it’ll be easier to apply primer to the entire wall. Then I’m not sure if the emulsion needs thinning or not

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Trade paints especially emulsion will require thinning.

14. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

Is that so it applies easier? or is it to do with the walls soaking up some of the water?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As said in an earlier post it's to achieve the consistency that the decorator judges to work for him, it avoids a stipple finish from a roller application and visible brush strokes, improves flow etc, remember 2 light coats is far better than one thick/heavy coat.

16. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

Makes sense, I’ll dilute each coat. As long as it doesn’t affect the scrubbable qualities of the paint.

I’m going to do a small test under the stairs on a small 30x30cm area of wall. I’ll leave some of the Toupret bare and spot the other patches with diluted acrylic primer. I’ll then apply 2 diluted coats of emulsion to both to see if

1. the Toupret reacts (swells) with no primer
    2. the Toupret flashes
    2. the emulsion covers the spot primer well and there’s no flashing from the primer

Sound good? then I know in the future what works, so if I do decide to go without the primer I know it’s okay to spot prime in the future.

17. Louise Smith

Louise Smith New Member

Wayners, do you water down the acrylic primer before applying to the Toupret?

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Toupret interior does not require spot priming, post #17 pointed this out.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Search for Toupret Interior Filler online, it will tell you exactly this, whereas Easifill is a different beast, that why I do not use it anymore.

20. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes mostly. Sometimes I want it to be a bit bumpy to match in with the reset of the wall on tart ups so no in that case.

Louise Smith likes this.