Issues with EcoDan Electric Boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rhys Worlock, May 31, 2021.

1. Rhys Worlock

Rhys Worlock New Member

Hiya guys, been living in a new build since may 2019 and been having issues with both the heating and hot water throughout. I’ve narrowed the heating issue down to faulty wiring and has been rectified however I’m at a complete loss with the hot water. We have a 210L tank heated via electricity and it also has an intake fan fitted in our garden. Since first use, we have been having issues with the hot water randomly cutting off after 3-5 minutes in the shower - mild heat. As for the bath (standard 89L) we are able to fill it up to just over half way and then the water begins to get cold again. There are 5 of us living in the house and having a shower in the evenings right now is a nightmare.

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this, or even what we might be able to change to get reliable hot water in the house. Thanks guys!

2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

You have an air source heat pump. Maybe the cylinder hasn’t fully recovered/heated up again after the last bit of use. How is your timer set for the hot water?

3. Rhys Worlock

Rhys Worlock New Member

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention in the original post that this is after no one being home all day. And the first use of the shower of the day. As for the timer I don’t believe there is one, it just heats up the water to 50 degrees celcius and holds it. Or so it should haha. And yeah completely forgot the name of it but the air source heat up is correct.

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

The electric heater in the tank should only be used once a week, the heat pump should have timers, it sounds like you can’t get it to work because you don’t understand the system.

Try setting it up so the hot water cylinder heats up during the space heating off periods so you aren’t trying to heat hot water and use the central heating at the same time, so you actually end up with the hot water cylinder fully heated.

It’s a low temperature heating system and cannot do everything at the same time, using the heater in the water cylinder increases your electricity bill significantly, it’s there to sanitise the tank and as a backup, not for daily use.