Issues with newly installed PVC bay windows

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by AliceJB, Feb 4, 2020.

1. AliceJB

AliceJB New Member

Hello all,

Having recently had new windows installed I now find that the external noise, primarily traffic, has increased along with one of the windows being quite draughty. I have called the company back but they have said that there isn't a problem and are now just stalling me when I call them. I'm on my own dealing with this and not very good at being firm although I have tried. My questions is where do I go from here. I have emailed FENSA but haven't heard anything now and its been over 3 weeks. I cannot get any other company to come in and check the windows for me as they say they are coming and then just don't turn up which is pretty standard for where I live. I am at my wits end, the windows cost me just under £6k and I did my research and used a local company who had rave reviews not just on social media but via word of mouth too. I live on a busy road and find that once the traffic starts up about 6am the noise wakes me despite using earplugs. One thing to note is that I kept the original wood box and had the new windows fitted to this which when I asked at the time I was told it wasn't an issue because the wood was in good condition. When the fitter came back he said having kept the wooden box could be the issue but if that was the case I certainly wouldn't have kept it if I had been told at the time by their surveyor that it would be fine.

I would be really grateful for any advice. I had read previous posts and read the Which article and have drafted a letter but are the company in breach of contract at this stage as the Which letter states this.

Many thanks.

2. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

By wooden box I assume you mean one of these wooden type bays on new builds. It cant really be the wood if it was okay before. Unless they have removed insulation from the framework but I cant see why they would do that. Two other possibilities:

If you are in a noisy area it may be that your previous windows had thicker glass in them. From my own experience on managing new build projects I know that any property on main roads specified 6mm or 6.4mm (2 x 6mm glass with 14mm cavity) glass as a sound attenuation measure. It is highly likely your new windows are only 4mm glass (2 x 4mm glass with 20mm cavity). This would allow considerably more low frequency sound through your windows. If this is the case then its not really the fault of the installer as it would be up to you to specify the thicker glass. It would of been a planning condition when build but they wouldnt of known that. Maybe worth trying to find out if you are in a relatively new property.

ALternatively the installers have not done a good job sealing the perimeter of the window. If they were out on tolerances and there are gaps between the window and timber frame then these air gaps should be filled with expanding foam prior to fitting trims or silicone over the top. If they have just fitted trims or silicone over the void then this will also allow sound into your property.

FInally it may well just be badly sealing windows. Try the candle test. On a windy day, hold a candle near your suspected air leaks and see how bad they really are. New windows should have very good seals and if htey dont it is usually very straight forward to tighten up the locking points with an allen key.

FENSA may check for you but they are not obligated to.

My last resort is usually to threaten the company with some poor facebook reviews or some sort of name and shame but make sure you can back up your claims properly before you do this.

3. Neeidea

Neeidea New Member

I have exactly the same problem. Initially I had condensation in our bedroom. I removed the sill and found damp. I used expanding foam in the cavities and built up the sil by about and inch with sand,cement and bond. I thought this would have resolved the noise problem also but I'm starting to think the outside seals must be non existent?

4. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

foam will rarely fix damp.

Also this guy has a noise issue, not damp.

Neeidea likes this.
  5. Noopets

Noopets New Member

I’ve actually got a similar problem (minus the draft) 2 new bay windows put in the house when we moved in around 18month ago. We live on a pretty busy road and the noise is unbearable. I’m just on with renovating one of the rooms now and I’m determined to get to the bottom of this.

We had ours done as a cash in hand job so we can’t really complain - the lads have done all our windows right throughout the house and they’re bang on but these 2 are driving me mental noise wise. Suppose it doesn’t help that in our living room we only have sanded floorboards so I doubt that will help any noise issues!

6. Neeidea

Neeidea New Member

I dont know if its mainly related to outside seals?

7. AliceJB

AliceJB New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. The house is not a new build but a Victorian semi and the windows prior to this were the original wooden single glazed ones. I would have loved to have kept the wooden windows but they were in a very poor state and the cost to replace was way above what my budget allowed at the time. How easy would it be for me to remove a trim to see if the gaps were filled with expanding foam or not? I'm not good with DIY and don't know what sort of tradesmen would be able to do this for me. Ideally I would like another window company to come and give me their opinion but having called two different companies to no avail I don't think that's going to happen. I did specify to the original salesmen that I primarily wanted new windows to keep the external noise to a minimum and to keep the warmth in but these do neither despite him stating that's what the new windows would do. I realise I have been a little naïve but I had to trust the salesman as he is much more knowledgeable than me.

8. AliceJB

AliceJB New Member

Hi, if you do get the to the bottom of it please let me know as the issue is also driving me crazy. Good luck.