It's good to see our true allies standing

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Mar 13, 2018.

1. solidly beside us after this appalling attack on our sovereign soil.

Trump has yet to tweet, I understand.

At least Rex Tillerson has come out very strongly in support - that was very good (and right) of him.

2. Time for the UK to flex its muscle.

This is going to be hellishly difficult, imposing financial sanctions that neatly avoid hitting the donors to the Tory party.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Tillerson does appear to be prepared to defy Trump and his deafening silence on issues that he finds himself in a compromising position on. Like anything to do with Russia, Israel, racism or sexual assaults.

My personal belief is that Moscow holds real "kompromat" on Trump hence his silence. Believe too that North Korea have their own or have hacked Russia to get theirs and that Kim Jong Un will demonstrate that to Trump at their "super summit".

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. That is very possible; he seems incredibly reluctant to criticise Putin.

Remember Trump's classic reply when O'Reilly questioned him on Putin's activities?

Washington Post: President Trump has long been effusive in his praise for Russian President Vladimir Putin, despite criticism from Republicans and Democrats alike.

In an interview with Fox News's Bill O'Reilly, which will air ahead of the Super Bowl on Sunday, Trump doubled down on his “respect” for Putin — even in the face of accusations that Putin and his associates have murdered journalists and dissidents in Russia.

“I do respect him. Well, I respect a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean I’ll get along with them,” Trump told O'Reilly.

O'Reilly pressed on, declaring to the president that “Putin is a killer.”

Unfazed, Trump didn't back away, but rather compared Putin's reputation for extrajudicial killings with the United States'.

“There are a lot of killers. We have a lot of killers,” Trump said. “Well, you think our country is so innocent?”

KIAB likes this.
  5. goldenboy

Trump clearly is compromised by either by kompromat or by his personal admiration for Putins "strongman" stance. More likely both.

Clear now that this nerve agent is a specific type only developed and held by the Russians. Either they have lost control of their stocks or its a state sanctioned attack. Whichever they are responsible.

There needs to be a proper response. Forget expelling diplomats. What needs to happen is first we dont go to the World Cup. That will embarrass Putin publicly, second there needs to be proper financial penalties. There are some big-hitters in London swanning around without a care in the world. Time to properly freeze their assets and put them on remand. If it means football clubs folding and banks collapsing so be it.

tore81, facilities and KIAB like this.
  6. goldenboy

Right on cue Trump fires Tillerson for not following Trump illogical and perverse constant fawning towards Putin.

Crystal clear that Trump is compromised. Make America Great Again? Only really works if the definition of great is that the US is a silent and powerless passenger in a Russian/American pact.

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

And Trump has just appointed Gina Haspel to head the CIA, going to be intresting.

8. facilities

facilities Guest

Breaking news 6.pm Trump backs May and believes Russia responsible for Chemical attack

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

And another unxplained death of another russian man in London is being investigated today.

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

11. facilities

facilities Guest

C’mon Kiab, what do yer know ?

12. facilities

facilities Guest

13. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

To keep well away from Salisbury,despite it being my former patch.

14. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Are Russia playing a power game in that it would eventually come out that the nerve agent used was only available in Russia, or has some of it Got on to the black market and is being used in some way as to frame Russia.???

15. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Pussie. :p:p

retiredsparks likes this.
  16. goldenboy

Presumably the same dastardly crew who are framing Russia also killed Litvinyenko, annexed Crimea etc etc?

17. btiw2

btiw2 Well-Known Member

Well, we did ask for a Russian response.

I’m just impressed with how they responded so quickly given the short notice.

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  18. How do you reckon this is going to pan out?

More ***-for-tat, expelled diplomats, frozen assets, possibly even as strong a response as Obama's when he actually seized some Russian diplomatic property in the US after accusing them of interfering in the elections?

In which case Putin will reply in kind, will undoubtedly increase cyber attacks and will - in any event - be further guaranteed an election win in a few weeks time. What an easy game he has to play to his deluded electorate; "the damage to our economy is all the West's fault due to their sanctions". "Only I have the strength and will to fight back". "That nerve agent attack was staged to undermine us".

This will only lead to a further distancing from a solution.

Or, will the West finally say 'enough'? There must be more than enough evidence now to demonstrate that Russia has been launching regular cyber attacks on the West, interfering with our (UK's, US's, France's, Germany's, East European countries) democracy by 'bot'ing numerous elections, as well as committing murder on our soil (and almost certainly others as well)?

A UN Security Council resolution to this effect - that Russia is considered a 'pariah state' and it's intentions must be challenged full-on (of course it'll be vetoed by Russia, but the point will have been made), followed by NATO involvement in the Ukraine (especially if Ukraine joins) and then an ultimatum to Russia - get your ships out of the Crimean Black Sea ports, or have them blockaded.

Or even move to expel Russia from the UN. After all,
    1. Membership in the United Nations is open to all peace-loving states which accept the obligations contained in the present Charter and, in the judgement of the Organization, are able and willing to carry out these obligations.
    2. The admission of any such state to membership in the United Nations will be effected by a decision of the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council.

Risky? Blimey. But no shots fired from NATO's side - unless Russia were to do so first. Who would blink?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2018
  19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Russia/Putin need to be isolated so they get the message that their behaviour is unacceptable and needs to change. I trust Putin less than I can throw him.

facilities and KIAB like this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

We just 23 Russian diplomats expelled, they have a week to get out.