JB alternatives

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kirby Castle, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

I really don't like 3 plate - it can be a real pain with "modern" non pendant lights and since JBs under the floorboards are not acceptable, what other methods/tricks/tips do you all use?

Steve

2. madmaz

madmaz New Member

they are acceptable if you have access to them and do a sketch showing there location etc.

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

:'( sorry but

4. madmaz

madmaz New Member

sorry but what ?

5. steve CF

steve CF New Member

On most new builds now they loop in at switches and take just one cable to each light fitting.

6. tellondon

tellondon New Member

So you have the 3 plate system at the switch effectively Steve? I always thought neutrals at the switch were frowned upon?

7. madmaz

madmaz New Member

not if they are identified correctly and not switched, via a single pole device

8. steve CF

steve CF New Member

its very common practice now on new builds.

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Madmaz not you but Kirby ,looping at light switches is yonks old ,how can you ask the question Mr Kirby ?

10. tellondon

tellondon New Member

So you just put the neutrals in a connecter block?

11. madmaz

madmaz New Member

no bother had me confused for a mo !!!

12. madmaz

madmaz New Member

So you just put the neutrals in a connecter block?

yep simple as that.

13. steve CF

steve CF New Member

yep connector block on three neutrals

its a very good way to supply external light as well but usually i install a double pole switch for external lights.

14. tellondon

tellondon New Member

Yea i know how to do it but as i mentioned i got the impression neutrals at the switch were frowned upon, i actually saw that `neutrals at a switch` thread recently but ignored it because i `thought` i knew the answer, ive just done a rewire when i knew they wanted lights that you couldnt make a 3 plate connection in so i put JB`s above the ceiling , thats still ok if they are accesible isnt it?

15. steve CF

steve CF New Member

so i put JB`s above the ceiling , thats
    still ok if they are accesible isnt it?

yes if there accessible

BUT dare i mention the word "NICEIC" say that if there is a carpet over the floor then the J.B. is not classed as accessible.

16. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

so how can a JB be accessable - also considering that they need to be screwed down and the cables clipped.

I came up with one solution - that is to fit the JB and then solder the wires in on each terminal. This then doesn't need to be accessable.

17. steve CF

steve CF New Member

good idea

18. tellondon

tellondon New Member

Im with the NICEIC Steve, how do you find out about all their expectations over and above what the regs state? Only way i get information from them is via the connections magazine sent through a few times a year, asked them to send me info about the trust mark scheme over a month ago but still havent heard anything

19. madmaz

madmaz New Member

sounds good to me too

20. steve CF

steve CF New Member

Im with the NICEIC Steve, how do you find out about
    all their expectations

its in the NICEIC technical manual