JG Speedfit stop end on radiator valves

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Nov 17, 2021.

1. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Welcome to our world !!
    As " macca' said above , LSX smeared on the olive where it meets the fitting is all you need. At nearly 6£ a tube it's a waste to spread it all over the place !!
    It's good stuff ,but it bugs me that it goes hard in the damn tube end if not used for a few days.
    Do you find that macca' ?

pppmacca43 likes this.
  2. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Picked it up for £5 actually from Wickes ;)

Yeah I get what you mean. I just cut the end tip out with Stanley knife.

Anyway reason I smeared it all over was because I have this paranoia about compression elbows leaking once I board everything up and lay flooring on, and few weeks or months down the line I notice the leakage on ceiling downstairs.

But I suppose if tested couple times with heating on and no leaks then should remain leak free.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

One of the joints you made had a loose olive ,it's a wonder it didn't blow off and cause a bit of a flood. No amount of LSX will prevent this ,if you haven't compressed the olive onto the pipe/ fitting. You should re check all the joints you made , particularly to the brass pipes.

4. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Had enough of a flood last night no more.
    Are you referring to the compression elbow joints?
    It was more a slight weeping leak.

Anyway these are my second pair of compression elbows. The first I believe I over tightened, if that's even possible, because they kept turning with a spanner even though they felt tight.

The other broke a little from over tightening.

Yeah I know you're not supposed to over tighten but first time I've used these, you learn from your mistakes.

So now I'm afraid I'd over tighten these elbows again.

Should it feel just tight enough? I guess this is something you know more from experience the right point to stop tightening.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You will virtually always be able to move the fitting on a pipe ,with a spanner, even when the joint is made well. One gets a feel for how much to tighten ,with experience. But a basic rule of thumb is tighten until resistance is felt and the pipe is gripped by the fitting ,then a quarter to a half turn more is enough.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I don’t think It will do any harm but it wouldn’t stop any leaks. A bit around the olives and then the nuts tightened well without overtightening is all that’s needed.

7. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Yes, lol. Only today I actually thought the same thing as I was piercing another hole in the tube so I could get some more out. I’m lucky I don’t have to pay for it myself.

terrymac likes this.
  8. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

In your experience, has overtightening caused leaks? Ahh I'm probably over thinking this whole thing especially after the scare last night.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  9. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Yeah if u really over tightened it, it could cause it to leak. Try not to overthink too much, put the fittings together with a smear of Lsx tighten up to the point it’s ‘nipped’ up with the spanner, and then give it a half turn or so extra until you feel resistance with the spanner’s that they don’t want to move anymore without excess force

10. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Yeah that's pretty much what I done, tightened with the spanner upto the point where it will only turn further with excessive force. Learnt my lesson from the first set compression elbows.

Anyways thanks a lot guys, will fit rad back and test again for any leaks before fitting floorboards and flooring on. Though will have to remove again for final decorating. Cheers.

pppmacca43 likes this.