Jigsaw machine

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by twisty, Aug 26, 2007.

1. twisty

twisty New Member

I have a Black and decker Jigsaw machine and need to do some intricate cutting ,Unfortunately the blades for this machine cut on the upward stroke thereby splintering and creating a rough edge alone the line you are cutting. The opposite side of the piece of wood (ply) that I am cutting is fine.

The instructions with the machine tell me about the direction of cut and the workaround in the user guide is to simply use the opposite side to which you are cutting. but that does not help me here.

I have tried several different blades and the results are always the same

Can you get a blade that cuts on the downward stroke, thereby eliminating splinter or is this a peculiarity with this machine?

2. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

mark your workpiece on the reverse side and cut accordingly

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Bosch blade 24387 from Screwfix, not sure if it fits your saw, it's a bayonet fixing.

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

get yourself a 101b or 101d blade
    a sheet of sacrificial hardboard or ply clamp/securely together on top temporarily

mark on the line to cut follow the line no splintering

although as said above flip the board and cut from the other side

big all

5. twisty

twisty New Member

Bosch blade 24387 from Screwfix, not sure if it fits
    your saw, it's a bayonet fixing.

The fixing looks the same, will give it a try.

I need to cut a scroll pattern into the side of a small box and it is impossible to get the jigsaw machine inside to achieve this - all work has to be done from the outside.

6. HudsonCarpentry

HudsonCarpentry New Member

Yes you can get blades that cut on the downstroke, look at laminate cutting blades, i always use the bosch blades, both laminate and clean cut blades work great with very little tear out if any.

7. diva

diva New Member

Also if your jigsaw has pendulum on the side. Make sure it is switched off as this will also give it a rougher cut. Bosch blades T101BR are the best ones to use (no need to turn wood over) just make sure your jigsaw is a T'shank & not the U'shank.
    Diva

8. foxy

foxy New Member

Due to blade wander the reverse side of a jigsaw cut doesn't always exactly follow the top, especially with cheaper jigsaws. As you can't cut from the other side this doesn't matter to you anyway but is worth remembering. T101BR blades will leave a clean finish on top but you must turn the pendulum/orbital action off with these blades as it won't cut properly. Also, they don't turn tight bends as well as conventional blades with the pendulum on so you might have to do a few radius cuts to relieve the stress and a bit of sanding afterwards.

9. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

10. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Just ondo the allen screw holding the blade in place. Turn the blade upside down and clamp back in the jig saw. Hey presto, a down cutting blade.

I find this great for worktops because you can get some realy coarse blades and they fly through like a dose of curry.

11. HudsonCarpentry

HudsonCarpentry New Member

Just ondo the allen screw holding the blade in place.
    Turn the blade upside down and clamp back in the jig
    saw. Hey presto, a down cutting blade.

I find this great for worktops because you can get
    some realy coarse blades and they fly through like a
    dose of curry.

Great idea but if your using Bayonet T blades even more so in a SDS chuck your screwe d on that front.