Jigsaw to cut a sink hole in a worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Rob290482, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I asked a question on here about how best to cut straight edges on a worktop, but now i have to do a sink cut.

The sink is oval shaped so only has 2 straight edges and 2 rounded edges.

On the instructions it says to turn the sink upside down, place on the worktop surface (the good surface) and draw round it, then measure 1cm in and draw a further line which is the line to cut.

I have done this, but the problem comes when have to cut it out. I cant see me being able to use a circularsaw due to the rounded edges + i have to cut on the work surface and dont want to chip it. I would use a jigsaw, but they are terrible at cutting 40mm thick worktop. I havnt got a router.

What i was planning on doing is turning the worktop over, measuring out again, drawing my line tec... then using the circular saw to cut the straight edges and the jigsaw to do the rounded bits.

Which way up do i need have the worktop when using a jigsaw so it doesnt chip the worktop?

The blades i have for the worktop are
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=440&utm_source=google&utmmedium=base

Rob

2. see saw

see saw New Member

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Your jigsaw will be bouncing all over the place if you use those.

4. russ295

russ295 New Member

personaly i would use the blades you have and cut from the topside, any chipping will be hidden by the sink, (do a few practice cuts to see the extent of chipping) you could use downcutters as advised but they blunt quick and you will need a decent jigsaw or they will just wander. make sure you seal the cut out (i use silicone) before you fit the sink.

russ

5. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I will get those blades recommended by see saw as the ones i have, have blades that cut on the upstroke and i think they will chip quite a bit, whereas the blades recommended cut on the downstroke so shouldnt chip as much + i only have 2 of my blades left.

I assume i cut with the work surface facing upwards (with the Bosch T101BR blades?

Thanks

Rob

6. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I have just re-read the above posts and got a bit confused? are the T101BR blades the ones that are going to have my jigsaw bouncing all over? and i might be best trying out my blades?

Also i noticed that the T101BR blades are designed for wood up to 30mm thick and my worktop is 40mm thick and my blades can be used up to 50mm thick.

I might score round the line i need to cut witha sharp stanly knife to try to minimise the chipping as if i chip it too bad, then the whole length is ruined and will cost me another £125 plus delivery.

I will also use masking tape on where i am cutting, just to be sure.

Rob

7. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

Just been thinking again, and i may be best to cut with the underneath of the worktop facing upwards as the blade actually cuts the laminate part on the upstroke (to minimise chipping) .... if this makes sense.

I think i might also be best using the circular saw to cut the 2 straight parts so that i am sure that the edges are square and not angle in or outwards (due to the jigsaw blade wandering or bending as i cut)

Rob

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

cut the correct way up with your blades dont push to hard
    if it starts to go off line pull gently back on line if it wont easily go back on line check the blade hasnt twisted well off line underneath if so backtrack and very gently try getting back on line
    if you decide to cut from underneath dont use pendulum and be extra carefull

big all

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

chips will be around 3 or4mm sink overlap around 10mm plus 2 or3mm silicon coverage ;)

big all

10. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

Thanks, i didnt actually think about the jogsaw blade bending if i tried to cut from underneath.

I will stick to cutting with the work surface facing up, going really slow (letting the saw do the work) with pendulum on. I might actually cut 1 or 2mm inside the line and score with a knife along the line (the actual clips that hold the sink it in place is more like 15mm inside the outer edge of the sink anyway)

I will give it a go and update tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well.

I then have to cut out the hob, but this is square and will need to be done with the circular saw as the sides need to be flat for the runner track thingy.

Rob

11. russ295

russ295 New Member

*** i could have cut the hole out in the length of time it has taken you to type :)

use the blades you have, do a practice cut in the area where the sink hole is. masking tape will just rip off unless your using downcutters, see how much "chipping", try it with the pendulum turned down.

if your jigsaw is wandering with upcutting blades your blade is blunt or your jigsaw is naff.

dont score it, the chance are you will slip with the blades and scratch to top where it might be seen or chop ya finger off!

russ

12. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

lol. i am still in work or i would have tried it by now. lol

I will have a go at it when i get home tonight. If i mess it up, the wife will be very pi**ed and i might be best 'hiding' for a while .lol

depending on how straight the inside edges are, i will use the same saw (with new blade) for the hob.

I am getting someone out to cut the butt and scribe, how much extra should l leave on at the 'male' part end of the worktop? I was guessing at 12 inch (just incase he messes up the first try - hopefully not, but better than needing a new worktop) the female part is already cut to length and fits nicely, so he best not mess that bit up

Thanks

Rob

13. russ295

russ295 New Member

if cutting rough i add about 50mm extra. 12" if you have it spare is more than ample.

good luck.

russ

14. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

The full length of worktop i need for the male part of the butt and scribe is 280cm and the worktop is 360cm so i have loads of left over. However, so i can put the worktop on the units, so its out of the way, i need to cut some off (at least 6 inch) which is why i suggested leaving an additional 12" on.

What is the best way to seal the cut egdes of the worktop? i am going to use edging trim on the visable edges, but would a pva solution be fine?

thanks

Rob

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Just get on with it!#

Cut from the top and away you go.

If the worktop is not in-situ be very careful carrying it once cut, they snap in half easily!

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Seal the cut edges with silicon...or varnish if you have all week.... PVA is no good as it reactivates when wet.

17. inframe

inframe New Member

Some years back I invested in a Festool saw and guide rail. As it is a plunge saw capable of clean upward cuts it makes life simple and quick just need the jigsaw if the cutout has rounded corners or alternatvely I use a hole saw of the right diameter. Point is could'nt live without the saw these days!
    Lay on that silicone...

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Inframe, the hole is oval.

19. see saw

see saw New Member

Hi

The blades I recommended earlier (bosch 101bf) are fine to use on 40mm worktops, if you turn the pendulum/orbital action off and don't push too hard the jigsaw wont bounce all over the place, they will blunt easily though I use one per aperture, finished side up.

Good luck

20. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

Well i got it done and it was fine, i got a tiny bit of chipping (1 or 2mm at most) and nice square inside edges. I didn have to swap the blade when i got to about 3/4 done.

The hook things that hold the sink in are terrible though, they dont tighten up properly so i might want to get some new ones + i found that the underside of Axiom worktops have really thick paper stuff that the hooks wont grip to so i had to make little anchor holes for them (just 1mm deep or so with the edge of a sharp knife)

Just got to do the hob tonight and i am done :)