Jigsaw with variable speed trigger

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Steve Webster, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Steve Webster

Steve Webster New Member

Some years ago I had a very nice Makita jigsaw which had the speed control in the trigger. Unfortunately as is so often the case with good tools, someone took a fancy to it. When I went to replace it, the shop that I used to use at that time didn't have that particular model in stock and I was stupidly persuaded to replace it with another Makita jigsaw which has one of these 'electronic variable speed dials'. Stupidly I say because I really cannot understand the advantage of this system. In fact I find it entirely inferior in operation to the variable speed trigger and have now been looking for a suitable replacement. But I am not having any luck and a tool that I used to use quite a lot is now one which I avoid picking up unless absolutely necessary.

So my question is simply: does anyone know of one?... assuming that you know what I am talking about! Maybe I am just entirely out of date!

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I never liked variable speed triggers.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Budget?

4. Steve Webster

Steve Webster New Member

Thanks but that really isn't much help to me is it?! My question, in case it is not abundantly clear is: does anyone know of one? (i.e. a jigsaw with a variable speed trigger and not do you or don't you like them?)

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Festool jigsaws are overpriced, buy a blue Bosch jigsaw but not a bargain basement one, £150ish.

6. Steve Webster

Steve Webster New Member

Are you sure about the Dewalt? I had a look at that one already online. It looks like it has a variable speed dial. I spoke to someone at Black and Decker HQ today (seems to be HQ for DeWalt etc) and that is the one he suggested, and he said he had tried it out, but I think he may have mistaken the 'soft start' for 'varible speed". Perhaps I should check it out again in a shop. I don't know much about Festool, but perhaps I should check them out too. Thanks.

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The festool PS420 EBQ isn't overpriced @ £252 inc vat IMO.

The Mafell P1cc definitely is @ £445 inc Vat.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I had a Festool plunge saw and a festool jigsaw that both got stolen, I replaced the plunge saw the next day and then bought a Bosch jigsaw when the insurance came through.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why do you need to vary the speed via the trigger as opposed to setting a max speed on the dial, out of interest.

10. Which model was it chippe i have had few bosch's then makita then went and got the festool 18v carvex bloody hell its like nothing i have used so good i would pay half as much again now i have had it for a while well worth in my opinion

11. Steve Webster

Steve Webster New Member

Simply because I prefer it and find it much easier to use.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can't remember the model name, it was about 10 years ago. The TS55 was a quantam leap from a Skil saw but the Jigsaw wasn't such a leap, basically the only new thing was the side guide blocks which have been copied and weren't that good.

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You can start a cut gently and slow down when doing curves etc, surely?, even I can see the advantage over stopping, reset speed, starting the cut again.

14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got an old blue B&D jigsaw....Don't laugh. It must be from the late 70s. It's got a 2speed button on the trigger. I really can't remember the last time I used a jigsaw. :)

15. Steve Webster

Steve Webster New Member

Exactly! So why is that trigger mechanism so difficult to find now? It seems to have been replaced by the preset dial system, which I can't understand. Part of the beauty of any tool is being able to vary the speed at the touch of a finger, or so I think!

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's fine, I don't tend to use a jigsaw that much as I either need to be quicker or more accurate so I tend to use slow with no pedulum and a metal blade for no splintering or a coarse blade on fast with max pendulum if you want to tear it up.

17. Steve Webster

Steve Webster New Member

Yes, well I guess whatever suits you. A variable trigger suits me. I've tried both so I know - and that was the reason I was asking if anyone knew of one that I can buy now. Just that simple - or so I thought!

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

We always have to over analyse on here :)

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I'm with you Steve on this one.