Job interview tips

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by avstu, Apr 15, 2013.

1. avstu

avstu New Member

I Managed to get myself an interview as a supervisor at a Screwfix branch and I was looking for any kind of advice.

i Have done a little bit of homework on the background of the company but having never had an interview before I'm unsure what to expect.

what kind of questions would people recommend I ask and what should I expect to be asked?

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

first think of why you want the job, and ask the most important question, " how much does it pay" anything else is irrelivant and they know that, secondly, imagine the interviewer is naked, but try not to get arroused, thirdley tell lies about your education, you can print fake certificates on a computer, but don't make out to be too clever, else they'll wonder why you want to work at screwfix,

sorry could't resist,

3. Nice, Mr Plum.

A chain-yank if ever there was one...

4. surfermick

surfermick New Member

kind of gives the game away though doesnt it, asking on a the screwfix forum what you should pretend to be interested in at a screwfix interview

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Well, first of all, you'll have to be good at making tea. This is a valuable skill and is transferable, If you can make tea, then making coffee/hot chocolate is a breeze. Think of any skills you have that are transferable though. You might be an excellent player of COD Modern Warfare, so this shows you know how to use a computer (dunna tell em it's played on an X Box though).
    Definately tell them that you can empathise with other people though (specially tradesmen who are often busy and don't care much for standing in SF trade centres behind Joe Public, who wants to talk about the weather/football scores/ snooker or darts results, whilst dillying and dallying about the colour of the electric socket they just bought).
    Tell them you can multi task too.  You might want to practise multi tasking at home, by chatting to your mate on yer mobile whilst making a cuppa, or playing Sun Bingo, whilst watching Jeremy Kyle at the same time. ;)
    Don't tell them your an ambitious person though. They'll quickly realise, you'll stay there for a few months before landing a prime job on the checkout at Tesco's or Asda.
    Wear your best pair of jeans and a clean t shirt (plain not patterned or printed with some silly slogans) for the interview though, that'll impress them no end. Don't wear your hoodie over the top though, get a nice jacket from Oxfam or Barnardos charity shops,, and remember to take a pencil with you to fill in the equal opportunities questionaire at the end (get one of them that have a little rubber on the blunt end, in case you make any mistakes on the form though)
    Do not, I repeat,, DO NOT, tell them you sought advice off the Screwfix Forums though.. Screwfix Peter or Screwfix Alex, or even Screwfix Kate, could read your posts here and put the kybosh on any job hope. ;)

6. getroofingquotes

getroofingquotes New Member

I always feel nervous about job interviews. Lucky I have a good job with good pay. Its hard to look for jobs nowadays.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Can you say, "Urm" with a puzzled look on your face ?

Jobs yours!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really