Jobs worth British Gas

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Dec 15, 2011.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I repaired a shower circuit today and all it needed was a new pull-cord switch. It was burned out neutral in the switch on the load side. Simple easy peasy job. Tested out the entire circuit just for good measure and all was well. The shower is 8.5kW, it was working fine for 2 years until the switch burned out and it is on a 80A 30mA main switch with 32A type B breaker and 6mm2 cable.

The customer was on a maintenance contract with British Gas and called them out initially. The report they completed stated that the switch had burned out, that the cable was too small it must be 10.00m2, so the circuit must be rewired and it was probably counterfeit cable anyway because of silver discolouration on the wire. [​IMG] They refused to replace the switch because of the counterfeit cable and it only being 6.00mm2 and insisted on isolating the circuit and put a danger notice on the switch. Jobs worth tarts.

The silver discolouration on the wire? Melted solder off the neon wire. ***!

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Aye, they are always out to fleece the poor old customer. I am surprised people still use them.

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

But their adverts are so fluffy and nice aren't they? 

How could they possibly be Cowboy's? 

4. coloumb2

coloumb2 New Member

A while ago they came out to one of my flats to look at a "broken shower". They reconded i needed a new thero valve on the shower, turns out the shower pump had packed up. really hard to tell the difference i guess.

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

British Gas do just about anything now, apart from what it says on the tin (GAS) be it renewables/ looking after their , I mean: your world!

Anyone want like to take a  guess why Corgi had such a bad safety record and who was their main culprit???

Yup,

British Gas and thats the reason Gas safe was very quickly brought on line.

There just more 'angers on in theis already diluted industry

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

British Gas come top for bad customer 'service' in all the national surveys. They do shoddy work, work that is not needed and thier prices are exorbitant. Yet the gullible public still think they are OK. :eek:

7. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I wonder -  if I re-name my company Gritish Bass will I make bigger profits.....