John Lewis of Hungerfrd.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by kitchenfitter1, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Has anyone ever fitted one of these kitchens, and if so, any thoughts on them. Also, has anyone sub contracted for them and if so, what are they like as in paying and pricing etc.
    Cheers
    KF1

2. jonny kitchen

jonny kitchen New Member

Would like to know as well.I fit some store displays but never get any idea about the home fit side.They tend to be very secretive.

3. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Biggest difference between store fits and home fits is that instore you tend to have walls and floors that are fairly plumb, level etc. Also corners tend to be 90 deg instore. Home fits, well you have walls that are not plumb, corners that are not 90deg, pipes along the wall where the sink is going to go. Some houses can be absolute nightmares, especially if the homeowner has done the measurements and taken them to B&Q, Wickes etc. then the designer/work experience schoolkid has designed everything around these measurements. when you try to fit it you find one wall is 45mm shorter than they measured, the corner is 85deg and the walls are a mile out of plumb, as is the floor. Not saying that all kitchen fits are like this, but it is a different ballgame. Usual one I would say that the walls are very rarely straight from one end of a run to the other so you have to cut the back of the intermediate units and scribe the end units. Then you have to scribe the worktop to get it to fit. Not trying to put you off but I have fitted some kitchens I wish I'd never started in the past. Older properties tend to be worse than fairly new as they have settled over a hundred years but still come across houses less than 10 yrs old that are a country mile out.

4. jonny kitchen

jonny kitchen New Member

joinerjohn sorry for the mislead i am well experienced in domestic and contract kitchen fitting. I just wanted to know about john lewis kitchen fits on site.