Join arris rails between posts

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by SHR123, Mar 17, 2019.

1. SHR123

SHR123 New Member

Hi all
    I have a featheredge fence with several rotting posts. They had been spaced at 9 feet apart which I understand is too far. Rather than replace the posts in their existing positions I was considering putting in new posts at 6 foot spacings. However, this would mean the arris rail joins will not be on the posts. Can the arris rails be successfully joined with a metal bracket (or something else) between the posts or is this not worth considering?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Stuart

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you need to replace the entire run of posts I think its going to to be tough to keep existing rails and boards in situ.

Strip it all down. Denail carefully if you want to reuse.

Then set your posts and then re-use what rails you can and replace what you need to replace.

3. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

cut y our fence and put a concrete post in you will after notch back of arris rail spring panels in then concrete post in

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

He needs to replace several of the posts. Surely a complete tear down and re-use of materials is going to be a better job and easier?

5. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

sorry you only read want you want sometimes yes best to replace the lot

goldenboy likes this.
  6. SHR123

SHR123 New Member

Thank you Golden boy and Ginger tuffs. I will take your advice and take it down and reuse what I can.

Cheers
    Stuart