Joiner in need of certificates

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Tattie, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Tattie

Tattie New Member

Hi I'm a 25 year old Joiner, Iv worked for my old man for 10 years but I never went to college with him being selfemployed and another employee leaving (I could only get a monthly college course near by) which didn't suit as if ther was a job that needed 2 men during that month it couldn't be done, I'm now wanting to get certificates as I'm thinking of moving to Canada and after searching the interest seems most of the jobs there require these. Iv seen a page called able skills, if anyone knows if that's good to use? Or how I will be able to achieve getting the right certificates? Would appreciate it if you have any information to take a second to let me hear your input.

Thanks

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I think the only way is to go back to college.
    I only got one cert and gave up half way through my 2nd year due to work, plus it was rubbish by comparison to what I was learning on the job.

3. Tattie

Tattie New Member

I know I never really fancied college as I didn't enjoy school and I felt like I'd learn much more on site as some mates had done the college course and said it was a waste of time as they learned more on site... I see on that able skills page you can pay to do a weeks course to get your certificates if you can prove you have 5 years experience or more and site seems legit

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I read similar, you would think proof of work and refs would be enough, I have worked with level 3 carpenters that know squat, but one of the lads I use, never done a day but is a top chippy,
    (I did teach him all he knows though)