Joining misaligned 15mm copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dansan, Aug 11, 2019.

Tags:
?

Hi, I'm installing an outside tap, I have the 15mm pipe through the wall the tap in connect, but the

1. how can join the them up

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. what fitting do I need

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dansan

Dansan New Member

Hi, I'm installing an outside tap, I have the 15mm pipe through the wall the tap outside is on the wall, but the pipe inside don't line up can you please help.

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Chop 15mm off the copper

The Teach likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

You have to make it line up by using joints and angles.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Is there no movement with that plastic isolation valve.
    Maybe using a bit plastic pipe will help.

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Well-Known Member

Can you post pic showing what is below valve?

You might be able to use PE-X pipe.

6. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Two of 135 degree solder fittings and some copper pipe and one real plumber to do it should solve it.

7. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

Voted for #2

8. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Hard to judge by photo, but I think distance between the 2 fittings is too short to make an offset in copper or other pipe.
    The OP has just made a rookie mistake.
    It would have been easier to drill the hole for pipe out of line by suitable distance to allow machine bends to the vertical pipe to it. Could have also used extra compression or solder bend at top.

9. robertpstubbs

Alternatively you might be able to use a flexible hose.

10. robertpstubbs

When I was suggesting using PE-X I was assuming valve could be lowered. That’s why I asked for pic of what’s below.

Heat likes this.
  11. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

How dare you mention the word flexi!
    Wash your mouth out with soap! :p

Personally hate the things and I never ever use them, except if part of a tap, or obviously part of shower pumps.
    Although the OP does also have my other dislike - push fit plumbing.

12. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Oh yes! Understood.
    If the OP could lower the valve 50mm or so, then probably space to bend any metal pipe.
    Not enough info in photo for us to advise

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

What type of garden tap do you have, ie, just a tap which fits onto a piece of 15mm tube or tube with a backplate fitted and then tap screws into back plate

Just wondering if ‘adjustments’ can be made externally at tap end to enable cupboard end to be aligned easily ?

Or just bodge it with a bit of poly pipe ......

Not ideal, fittings should all be nicely in line for, especially for push fits but ....... probably be ok, don’t look too severe an angle

Heat likes this.
  14. robertpstubbs

With a suitable valved flexi you could eliminate both the elbow and the valve, and therefore reduce the number of joints that could leak.

15. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Not sure about all types of valved flexi, but I do know the usual type fitted to toilet cisterns can have the valve leaking.
    I think of flexies as introducing a weak point - basically just a rubber hose with metal braiding.
    I hear they are not allowed to be used in some buildings due to risk of bacteria in the flexi

16. Dansan

Dansan New Member

I managed to get it all connected but when turned the isolation valve on, water was coming out of the top of the isolation valve, I bought a brass compression isolation valve but I can't get the old one off I've used these fast fit connection before I know you have to press the collar back down but it won't budge, so I tried taking it off at the tee fitting same thing It won't move

17. Dansan

Dansan New Member

18. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Try re inserting the pipe in the outlet of the isolator and check you have not mucked up the o ring in that end.

Usually they leak because the pipe is not fully pushed in

19. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

The tee fitting is a Speedfit tee with locking nuts. You have to slacken the nut before the collar part can release to allow pipe to be pulled out.
    To remove pipe you are best to rotate pipe first and pull with a twisting motion.

The valve in your photo does not have locking nuts and just requires collar pushed in to pull valve off

20. Dansan

Dansan New Member

I think your right I may of damaged the o ring, I've tried re-inserting the pipe, my problem now is getting the Isolator off It won't budge I've tried taking off at the tee connection same think, I've unscrewed the locking and pushed the collar down but It won't come out.