Joining Perspex sheets?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rogerk101, Jan 5, 2020.

1. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Not sure which forum to post this on but here goes ...
    My wife wants me to construct a terrarium for her out of clear acrylic sheets. (These sheets sometimes go by the brand name of Perspex, but there are other brands available too.)
    There are several products on the market that are advertised as being good for welding acrylic, but they're very expensive and they usually say that they're good only for some types of acrylic, but not others.
    I've read that I can use pure acetone to 'weld' sheets of clear acrylic together, and I wanted to hear whether any of you gurus out there had ever done this and if it was successful, what did you use?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

When I worked in a development workshop we used to use chloroform to melt the edges of perspex....but that got banned and we used a purpose adhesive which did just a good of job. also no need to wet and dry the edges just use a fine tipped blow lamp to pass over the cut edges to melt them. Attended a weeks course at ICI think it was in Bradford......memory's not to good as it was over 30 years ago.

Why not use plate glass and silicone.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    KIAB likes this.
  3. rogerk101

Thanks for the input Astramax.

Why do you think plate glass and silicone would be better/easier?
    I've done a lot of glazing in my time, but always in situations where the sharp edges of the glass are 'buried' somehow, so I've never needed to smooth them off to remove the sharp edges after cutting. Is it relatively easy/cheap to get the edges smoothed off?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you intending to make a frame for the perspex or glass to sit in.
    The perspex glue as I remember was a 2 part adhesive, the important thing was to construct the mating surfaces free of trapped air bubbles which would compromise the joints strength.
    I thought glass would be easier to cut and assemble held within a small sized brushed satin aluminium angle frame, made a terrarium about 30 years ago using lead profile as used in stained glass window making.

5. rogerk101

She would prefer no frame, but it the edges were a mess, then I guess I could stick some outside wooden profiles on which are just to cover the mess, rather than to be structural.

I've watched several YouTube video clips on how to bond perspex/plexiglass/clear acrylic, but they are mostly USA or Canada based, where there are lots of products for bonding it, but I'm not finding many here at a reasonable price.

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

A sort of answer to this could be to use Solvent Cement, using a test piece to try it out on first.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think the 2 pack glue was named TENSOL.

8. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

If you buy your glass cut to size then just ask for the edges to be ground or polished.

rogerk101 likes this.