Jointing Quartz worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Johnst1a, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Johnst1a

Johnst1a New Member

Is it acceptable to use silicone sealant to join/seal quartz worktops? I've just read the installation instructions for granite worktops which advocates using a 2 part glue and hardener in chamfered joints whereas my installer merely sealed the joints on my quartz worktops with silicone with instructions not to touch it until it had set overnight. you can definitely feel the drag as you wipe the surface with a damp cleaning cloth.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

I believe a coloured matched epoxy resin should be used, not silicone.

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

+1
    Spot on. The colour should be mixed for each installation as well. There will be NO silicon colour that will match the worktop and as the OP has said, silicon adds "drag" when you clean it.
    The company that installed the tops should be brought back and do the job properly.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Are they M-Stone tops?

5. Johnst1a

Johnst1a New Member

Thanks gents, I've contacted the supplier/installer and am waiting for their response.
    To Goldenboy, I'm not sure what M-Stone is I certainly ordered sparkly white granite and it looks great except that I can wobble one of the joints and you can see the silicone flex.

6. kitfit1

I think Goldenboy is refering to Mirostone worktops, Which are actually Acrylic tops and absolutely don't use silicone on any joints :D

7. goldenboy

Its a product called M-Stone. Its Bushboards offering in the Quartz market.

I got persuaded to go on a free training day at International Decorative Surfaces a couple of years back.

They put me on their approved installer list.

Never heard another dicky bird!

Reason I ask is that thats a quartz designed to be machined wet or dry on site and the joints are meant to be joined with Bushboard Complete sealant.

They do a sparkly white one.

8. kitfit1

Yep, you is right there GB. Forgot all about M-Stone, and they would have been pushing BB-Complete at the time as well because it was new at the time. It's not silicon though. We still use it now with all Bushboard's laminate tops as the joint sealant because if we use it, it carries a 3 year gaurantee.
    We did the same course at Bushboard.....................along with god knows how many others over the years...................and like you, never got one single fit of M-Stone. Have had hundreds of Mirostone fit's though...............a much better product.

9. goldenboy

Yep, in my opinion the M-Stone looked ok. Looked like a reasonable solution. Could never get a customer to go for it.

10. kitfit1

Limited colours and price i think. Even now there is only a choice of 6 colours.

goldenboy likes this.