Joist sizing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mr p nuss, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

not surprising my 2"x7" floors are bouncy then, spanning 4.7m and notched to *k :(

Still been there 80 years so far :)

2. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Any architect will use the sizes given in the tables which are in the Building regs. They don't size them because its not their game, and they don't oversize them to increase the cost, because what additional cost is there? 10% of a few hundred quid is not worth the effort.

Expanding your initial plan for a small rear extension into a two storey side extension with separate pool house, is how they 'may' bump up the cost.

Some architects I know will say 'I don't have pipework showing in MY designs, box it all in with a nice hardwood access panel with some expensive hafele hinges. Maybe some LED's beneath the top, which I WANT in stone' Never a thought to ask the client what they might like in the downstairs loo.

Timber sizes are either in the tables, or they won't size them. Of course, anyone can read the tables the wrong way. But Building Control will not insist on more than the tables say will work.

[edited by Hafele]

3. ­

­ New Member

Ah but..........

Some architects over spec to allow for notching anywhere along the joists.

and by the way, 10% of a few hundred quid is worth having just for writing 225 x 75 instead of 47 x 175.

See, I've just typed it for free, imagine getting £30 or £40 for it.

:^O

4. ­

­ New Member

ecm, I like that 'extremelycleverman' name you have suggested, I may see if it's available.........

:^O