Junction box and terminals for din conectors

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Upex, Sep 15, 2020 at 8:14 AM.

1. Upex

Upex Member

Hi all,

Hope you're keeping well.

Spent ages looking for a din rail box that can be used to extend some cables, with those tidy colour coded din mount connectors with screws vs those push clamp things (unless you all think they ok), if you know what I mean. But for life of me, can't find any on SF and patchy partial results online.

Anyone have any recommendations/ links? Or know what the proper name is that I should be searching for please? As be so much neater than choc block in a box

Many thanks all

2. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Active Member

I usually get that sort of kit from RS, not the cheapest but full range

Upex likes this.
  3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You havent said how many terminals you’ll need.
    Google DIN RAIL ENCLOSURES there’s lots out there.

Wagos are fine, in a suitable enclosure.

If you only need to connect a few cables, there’s this sort of thing
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WAL32.html

Upex likes this.
  4. Upex

Upex Member

Thanks both. Thin confused myself with some of them online, thinking were just for networking gear and such

I will look now and grab one, thanks both, much appreciated. Didnt want to buy before knew was on right path as never seen one in person.

There will be circa 27 cables running in to box that need extended. Not sure that last link would work albeit looks like a nice easy solution, as just need 1 to 1 connectors really like the inline ones, no sharing or take off needed, which I think that box does with the connectors more than 2 hole wide?

Thanks for confirming what I'm looking for, huge help when you know the name

Cheers both

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

There are Wago XL boxes which are bigger than the usual sized ones.

Upex likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

7. Upex

Upex Member

Thats them, thanks Bazza

Will check for larger box to, thanks Hans. Need to figure out how big it needs to be now and get looking

Never ends eh, should have been a 5 min job, but now want it to look better with those din rail blocks!

8. Upex

Upex Member

What a lot of choice.

What would you folks use for a 3 core cable, or t&e type?

3 separate 2 way (1 in 1 out) connectors, 1 for each conductor, or
    1 double level (2 in 2 out, not linked of course) for line conductors and 1 for cpc
    2 separate for line and block cpcs separately
    1 double for lines and cpcs via block
    1 tipple level for all 3 (again 3 separate connections, not linked)

Like idea of 2 or 3 level, as means less width, but thought to get opinions given never worked with these din rail terminals before. Sorry if terminology isn't correct.

Thanks

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Need a lot more information! You haven’t told us anything about the application, the circuits involved, you just said “extend some cables”.
    We don’t even know if you are talking mains voltage wiring, or something else!

10. Upex

Upex Member

Sorry bazza, for low voltage and mains I guess.

I'm doing a radio rig for the old man, hence wanting a neat looking job, mainly low voltage, only 2 mains powers to be done, but got me thinking if I can use the three level I can have a narrower enclosure and look even more tidy.

Does the voltage dictate if 1/2/3 level is suitable? as see many are rated much higher than mains and amperage is also high. Specs seem to accomodate mains voltage and then some, 3phase plus in lots of cases, so presume lower volts and amps not an issue.

Not an issue to use more x single levels for me, only have the 2 mains powers which could be separate if needed (longer direct flex etc) just means a wider box for the individual wires, but got me thinking generally about how useful these could be, say for extending a garage or shower cu etc if space were tight, be a very neat slim job if 1 cable could fit in 1 3 level terminal (albeit savings on width would be met with additional depth).

Thanks

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Before someone else mentions it
    230v AC is low voltage for electricians.

Mixing low and extra low voltage needs care. I wouldn’t have them mixed in the same row of DIN connectors for instance. And how would you ensure isolation when anyone works inside the enclosure?

Wiring regulations limit the way you can mix Band1 and Band2 systems (528.1). In particular every cable or conductor must be insulated for the highest voltage present. I don’t think you could do that in your plan?
    Two separate enclosures. One mains and one other stuff.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    Upex likes this.
  12. Upex

Upex Member

I hadn't thought of that, good shout, defo not wanting to insulate it all to 240v levels . I'll keep mains power out and just use for the very low stuff (as that's where the bulk is to be fair, only 2 mains powers)

Means I don't need 3 core in my box, so presume a double level one will be fine per cable ie red and black in, red and black out (no connection between two of course) as cant see a use for a split 2 level if not for that, unless it'd be 2 reds in one and 2 blacks in another, ie not one per cable, one per 2 cables + and 1 for the 2 x -) I like the latter as can be colour matched then, but like the former as means 1 terminal 1 cable.

Thabks Bazza, very interesting, like finding new stuff out, especially when someone helps me understand

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Mixing the 2 voltage levels doesn't have to be difficult.

When I was building these panels, (21 of them), I did 3 phase (415v) mains down the right hand side and control cables @ 24vdc down the left. The terminals at the bottom in yellow are mains and were covered with a clear pesrpex cover to prevent finger access then labelled accordingly.

All cables rated for mains voltage and 2 levels of control voltage terminals. Note the end caps and separators between the terminals to identify mains circuits.

Note: As these were for machines BS7671 did not apply, BS EN 60204-1 took over, 7671 stopped at the machine isolator, however I believe 60204 is more stringent in places.

2011-07-18 08.23.18.jpg

Upex likes this.
  14. Upex

Upex Member

That looks great, mine will far less complicated or involved but brill to see, if find these new things (to me) fascinating so many thanks for the input, lots of reading to do now

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

@Upex lay your panel out on the table and work out your cable runs BEFORE drilling any holes and fixing anything. That way if you need to, you can move things around to inprove the layout.

Give at least 20% overkill on space so you have room to add to it later if you need to.

Upex likes this.
  16. Upex

Upex Member

Will do, albeit I've not got much in there really, but a top tip for now and later thanks Bazza-spark