Just got our EICR - help!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cobda, Feb 23, 2021.

1. cobda

cobda New Member

Hoping someone can help me make a bit of sense of the EICR I just received - very new to all things property related.
    I had an electrician come in to carry out an EICR for a property we're hoping to purchase - 2 bed victorian terraced. He's said that based on his findings the property would need a full rewire.
    Would this conclusion make sense based on the findings in the report?

I've attached screenshots of the EICR.

Any help or insight would be so helpful, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

So when you asked him why it needs a rewire, what did he say?

3. cobda

cobda New Member

He said that based on the findings shown in the report and the fact that upon conducting an insulation resistance test, the values obtained indicated both an immediate failure for most circuits and a significant deterioration for other circuits. He also said that only 3 circuits were labelled out of 8 and a failure at insulation resistance requires replacement of the said circuits, making it unnecessary to continue testing.

Thanks

4. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

Is there any point reading beyond Item 2 on the first screenshot to get the measure of the guy? Lack of labels on earthing/bonding cables is a C1?

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  5. Nomenklatura

My insight would be to try to use the report to get the price reduced.

6. cobda

cobda New Member

I thought the same to be honest, I assume lack of labelling wouldn't need immediate action?

7. The Happy Builder

I normally only do one insulation test at the main switch for the entire installation, I would like to know how he does it.

It appears there’s at least one RCD, if all the insulation has failed it would keep tripping.

8. Nomenklatura

Not even urgent.

9. The Happy Builder

So no mention of rubber insulation or cables without earth wires?

10. The Happy Builder

I wonder if there’s an earth lead on the RCD he has not disconnected whilst undertaking the insulation test?

Any idea what make of consumer unit it is? Is it a cream coloured MEM consumer unit?

Insulation test result of around 0.37 mega ohm?

11. cobda

cobda New Member

No mention yet, we're hoping to speak with him properly over the phone tomorrow. Just trying to gauge whether a rewire seems reasonable based on the report and if it's worth trying to reduce price of the house. We were expecting some work to be necessary on the house, but now a total rewire!

12. cobda

cobda New Member

In terms of the test results and the consumer unit, I have no idea. I can try and find this out from him when we speak tomorrow.

Does 0.37 mega ohm sound incorrect? Would you expect something different?

Thanks for all your responses!

13. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

If I was the vendor I would say the price reflects the condition, take it or leave it. If you showed me that EICR I would say get a truthful one.

14. The Happy Builder

There’s nothing in the observations about low insulation test results.

The report reads like there’s some badly installed down lights, but without going to have a look at it there’s no way of saying what the condition of the installation is from the condition report.

The observations are editable, it is quite easy to say what the problems are on the report.

cobda likes this.
  15. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

What you have posted is an incomplete report. You should get a schedule of test results. Did you receive one?

16. cobda

cobda New Member

The electrician said this was only a 20% sample and that upon conducting an insulation resistance test, the values obtained indicated both an immediate failure for most circuits and a significant deterioration for other circuits.

He also said that the dead tests for the circuits were not completed because only 3 of the 8 circuits were labelled and a failure at insulation resistance requires replacement of said circuit, making it unnecessary to continue testing.

Not sure what a 20% sample means, we asked for a full EICR.

17. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Sounds like he hasn’t actually finished the job or done it properly. Sampling should only be done if there are things such as previous reports or regular maintenance in place. He should not have undertaken sampling in this case.

You asked for a full EICR and didn’t get one. Don’t pay him until you get one. Could be that 5 out if 8 ccts are actually OK, but you don’t know that because he hasn’t tested them.

Having said that he’s not wrong in stating that IR below the required values need urgent attention.

Using only the observations you’ve posted, it does look like a full rewire is required. The seller will know this so depending on how much you want the property you could use this to reduce the price a bit. In reality it’s probably only going to get you a small reduction.

So in sum, two issues:

1. Did you get the EICR you asked for (but hopefully haven’t yet paid for)? No.

2. Does the property need a rewire? Yes. Get at least 3 quotes, use your council trusted trader scheme or local Facebook group recommendations.

18. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

There is no way lack of labels can be a C1, which makes rest of report invalid as clearly the guy has not got a clue.

cobda likes this.
  19. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

With rubber cables, or PVC cables where the plasticizer has leached out, or where aluminium cable has been used then looking at rewire, but very little else, new consumer unit maybe, and a few tweaks, but whole rewire is normally homes wired before 1966 with no earth to lights and rubber cables. If I was given that report it would go in the bin, even if some points are genuine, the silly bits means whole report is not even worth the paper it is written on.

20. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

The report on insulation values would be under some doubt and readings need to be shown on values