K Life worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Scott Green, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Has anybody fitted these? Quoting a kitchen fit but I have not fitted these before.

Any do's or don'ts?

Have fitted 12mm acrylic a few times without issue

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Never fitted "K Life" tops myself. All Acrylic tops take the same preparation and fitting logic though, so if you have fitted Acrylic before with no issues the same method will work with K Life. As usual, it will take 2 of you to do the job because of the weight of the tops, so just make shure you quote enough for 2 peoples time for however long you think it will take.

3. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

20181031_172315.jpg 20181031_171912.jpg Fitted these corian tops today for the first time. All sanded flat but i can still see a faint line. Is that normal with white tops or should it not be there?

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I'm obviously overdue at Specsavers - can't see a line there at all

kitfit1 likes this.
  5. kitfit1

Neither can i lol, but taking pics of light tops is nearly impossible when you want to show imperfections.
    To answer your question though Scott, you actually should be able to see a faint line in any Acrylic tops. If you can't see a line, then that means that most of the glue has squidged out and in fact there isn't enough glue in the joint. Always better from a fitters point of view to see that line, that way the manufacturer can never blame the fitter if there is a warranty claim down the line. Because, they will blame the fitter for a joint failure if they can.

Edit:Yes i can see the line in the second pic. It looks darker than the worktop as well :eek:. That suggests to me that you were perhaps not as thorough with cleaning the the joints with the Methanol before applying the glue.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Well-Known Member

What type of Corian is that? I can clearly see the joint line in the second pic. In the first pic it looks like colour shading differences between the two tops. Or maybe light reflecting differently ?

Also the join corner on the front is not too sharp.

Is that real Corian?

kitfit1 likes this.
  7. kitfit1

I think the first pic is just light reflecting differently. The second pic though screams to me that the joint wasn't cleaned properly before the glue was applied. The joint line itself is darker than the worktops, the obvious giveaway. Like you Metro................i'm not 100% convinced that is Corian in the first place..................just dosn't look "right".

metrokitchens likes this.
  8. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

It is porcelanosa krion. Still got to sand up the corner edge properly.

Any way of getting the joint any better now without cutting new in?

9. kitfit1

No there isn't i'm afraid. When you re-do the joint make absolutely shure that you clean both sides of the joint properly with the supplied Methanol, including an inch or so of the top and bottom of the surface along the length of the joint. Then don't touch the joint again, contamination is the enemy of all joints on Acrylic tops.