Ka battery change

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Mike58, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Went to remove the battery from my daughters Ka - what an awkward job.

There is 25mm strap across the top, with a metal plate on te end which is bolted down at the. No room for anything apart from a socket and extension. Nut is 17mm with about 40-50mm of thread protruding so a standard socket will not fit. I had to find a long reach plug socket and remove the rubber insert, then with restricted access, 1/4 of a turn at a time undo the nut.

What should have been a 5 minute task took an hour. Why do some manufacturers make things so difficult?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Where the battery will go is low on the list. Make it fit the space that's left

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Simple jobs on cars ...... ha ha ha ..... very rare I’ve found

Just this weekend I replaced 2 tiny bulbs that light up heating control panel

£3 for 2 bulbs so that’s good but
    Took me 2 hours to remove various screws, clips, radio, storage box, wiring plugs to finally get to heating controls then bulbs are in holders that you have to remove but they’re recessed behind heater panel

Can’t remove heater control without unclipping cables to vents and I didn’t fancy that

Managed to angle heater control just a little, torch inside recess, one of those inspection mirrors on a handle that angles, small pliers, several layers of skin ripped off and job done :)

All good fun and all for £3 !

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

The heater matrix leaked on my old Berlingo van. To remove it, you merely had to undo two bolts on the bulkhead in the engine compartment and then "just" remove the whole dashboard....

A can of Forte radiator sealant fortunately repaired it instead and it then lasted several more years.