Kapex

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by CGN, Feb 25, 2019.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hi all

Possibly in the market for a new mitre saw and having recently bought a ts55, very tempted with a Kapex.

Is it worth it, other options etc?

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My thoughts exactly and I Could have typed that myself. Will be very interesting to see the responses. I hope you don't mind me reading them as well.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Of course not Willy, it’s as much your thread as mine mate :)

Astramax and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a huge amount of Festool kit and when I replaced my DeWalt saw I looked at all the alternatives and then went for the Bosch GCM 12 GDL - the glider.

What put me off was a lot of the comments on the Festool forum about reliability and one of the UK dealers confirming that when he went on a visit to the UK service centre there was a lot of 110v saws in for warranty work.

There are several little features on each saw which are on the other but nothing you can't do without. The main difference between the two is weight the Festool is 21 kg and the Bosch 32 kg.

I haven't found anything that the GLD can't do yet; from cutting small section molding to railway sleepers.

WillyEckerslike, CGN and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1 for the Bosch GCM 12 GDL

Naff handle design on Kapex,found it awkward to use, to me Bosch handle is just a natural position to grab.

And I can't see how they can justify the price for the Kapex,it's nothing special in my book.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    WillyEckerslike and CGN like this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks sospan. Yep, seen the comments reg the motor issues. I was going to buy a 240v version, so not sure if these have the same issue?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I do wish Bosch would bring the CM10GD to the UK, I would buy one today, it's a 10" version of their 12" axial-glide mitre saw.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A lot of the issues with the motor (110 and 240) if you run it from one of the extractor power outlets. Have a look

As per usual there are a few reviews / videos on the web https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/bosch-glide-vs-festool-kapex/

9. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Makita LS1019l.
    Direct drive in true makita tradition and no belts. So better power delivery.

My only gripe with it is they have changed the handle from vertical (original LS1013 design) to horizontal.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks all :)

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  11. WillyEckerslike

Pretty much steered me away especially given the cost.

12. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Its incredible how the handle design alone will sway someone towards a particular machine.
    Guy at work uses nothing but vertical and a new machine with horizontal handle would never interest him.

13. WillyEckerslike

The Bosch does look impressive. Reading other posts on here it would seem that sospan's biggest issue is stopping his son and daughter from nicking it.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I had a Bosch GCM 10 S which has a vertical handle, & now have a Bosch GCM 10SD with a horizontal handle,being naturally left handed I find it easier to use,but it's just as comfortable using it right handed..

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The weight has an advantage - they couldn't lift it :D

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep, although some good 2nd hand bargains.

I’m at that point now where I certainly don’t have money to burn, but just want kit that works well and doesn’t drain the life out of you every time you use it.

WillyEckerslike likes this.