Karcher Pressure Washer

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mosaix, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Mine's been leaking oil. Dismantled it and found a perished 'O' ring and ordered another.

However I now need to top up / replace the oil. The same site as I ordered the 'O' ring from want £49.50 for a litre and it only needs about half that anyway!

Anyway, I'm not paying that. Found a forum where a guy recommends topping up with 15W40 oil. The picture of the oil on the 'O' ring website has the instructions etc in German so I can't tell the grade.

Anyone with any experience of this?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mosaix likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

While I have never heard of a Karcher needing oil, if it does I would imagine it would be a hydraulic type like brake/clutch fluid!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some do need oil to lubricate the pump.:)

Use 15W-40 Engine oil.

Mosaix likes this.
  5. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Been a while since I visited this thread.

The Karcher has three little pistons actioned by a rotary cam that sits in an oil bath. This bath was empty. I refilled it with 15W-40 as KIAB suggested but oil still leaked. Close inspection showed that the pistons operate in rubber seals and the oil now had water in it. Got new seals. The seals were a different spec, the housing had been redesigned slightly. New housing. Still leaks water into the oil. Perhaps the pistons are worn or a slightly different spec to the new housing? New pistons are £8 each. Whole thing only cost £65 new. Already spent £20!

Breaks my heart to throw thing away. First, because it ALMOST works - 95% of it is fine. Second, because I haven't fixed what should be a simple problem. Very annoying.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Try a wanted on your local Freecycle or Freegle, somebody might have a broken machine you can cannibalize for spares.
    If you eventually buy a new machine, I can highly recommend Nilfisk.:)

Mosaix likes this.