Kerf cutting skirting boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JayCee2020, Nov 1, 2020.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I haven’t used P38 filler since I was 17 with my first wreck of a car and was attempting to tidy up the bodywork

I do remember it’s hard to sand down, wet and dry - used wet - works best and also I had my dads drill with a rubber sanding plate and grit discs attached

However, just go with the Ronseal (in my opinion)

Dries rock hard / sands fairly easily /

I’m sure there’s others equally as good but I stick with the Ronseal 2 part wood filler

JayCee2020 likes this.
  2. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Seeing the P38 mentioned, I was having a moment of nostalgia recalling the body work I did on an old Rover :D I'll definitely stick to filler specifically manufactured for anything wood-related, Dave - takes quite a bit to get it off the fingers, too hah! If I'd been around at the time to see what filler the joiner was using, I'd have stopped him until I'd got the right stuff. C'est la vie.

3. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

This has been an incredibly interesting thread, thank you to everyone that's replied. I appreciate all advice given and have thoroughly enjoyed looking at the various videos/pictures.

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

P38 is basically the same as ronseal 2 part wood filler - just a different colour.

5. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

So true yet by changing the name they can change the price.

Check out padding glue that printers use for those notepads that are glued along the top edge and you tear a sheet off at a time, then checkout PVA which is the same stuff, if it is the same as in the late 80's printers are paying 5 times as much as chippies.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have been using P38 on a wood repair recently and found no difficulty with sanding down at all especially on the profile sections, if anything somewhat easier than The Ronseal product to be fair and honest...... ;), Wickes own brand 2 part is a better price than the Ronseal and the same product.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    JayCee2020 likes this.